• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've never had such a sad rabbit

I'm so sorry :( it's heartbreaking seeing your bunny so sad :( when I lost Honey, Olly was like that. I don't know if this might be an option for you or not, but moving him to a different room worked wonders for Olly. It was totally new to him and he had new things to explore etc, and he really came out of himself. He is actually a lot more confident these days. I hope he starts to feel better soon. Sending hugs xx

I don't have any experience to share, but thinking of you and your lonely rabbit. He's in good hands, and perhaps time or ripminnie's suggestion of new surroundings might help him feel happier.

It really is heartbreaking when a Rabbit is grieving. Some seem to do so far more than others.

I have found that it can be helpful to do a complete change of the grieving Rabbit's environment. This can 'kick start' the Rabbit's natural curiosity and they will take more interest in their surroundings. Even something as simple as a cardboard cereal packet can prove to be of interest. Especially if there happens to be a flake of cereal remaining in the box.

I have also found that some Rabbits appreciate having a soft toy to groom and to sleep next to. But some are huge chewers so this is not always an option.

I am sure that you will find something that helps the Bun, you are so 'tuned in' to all of your Rabbits xx

Jane's advice certainly sounds worth a try,I know my single foster bun loved his soft bunny toy he'd sleep with her and groom her too.

I'm so sorry your poor bunny is grieving. It's such a shame you can't afford another rescue. My Ginny was one of a trio. She started off with her sister, then we introduced a neutered male who was widowed. Then after 4 years Ginny lost both of them within 6 months. She was so depressed and struggling to show interest in anything, she was 7 yrs old. We rang rspca and they found a 2 yr old grey lop, Widget. He had been a "seized by the inspector" bun. I spent about two weeks carefully introducing them and eventually they got together. The change in Ginny was amazing, she got her smile back and her zest for life. We're now a year on and Ginny idolises him, although she's in charge, Widget is very happy with the attention. As Ginny had never been alone before it works very well and I'm so glad we took the chance. I'm sure it saved her life.

Some rescues, not all mind, will offer to bond a single with your chap with the understanding that when your chap binkies to the bridge, the bun goes back to the rescue and you don't get stuck in that cycle of constantly needing to bond. Is that something that could work for you?

I have found in the past that even a failed bonding can snap a rabbit out of grieving so could you try him with another pair even if it looks as if it is unlikely to work? And you may be surprised. I have recently been very successful with some trios that I regarded as unlikely to work. We have 18 now, more than the number of pairs. As rabbits age groups get easier to form, so some that wouldn't accept it previously may be fine now particularly with an unthreatening extra as he ought to be after being in groups previously.

Back