• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Bunny, any Ideas?

Sarah3075

Young Bun
I've never posted here before but I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on something worrying me about my bunny, Len.

He had his myxi/vhd jab about a week and a half ago and he moved outdoors to a converted Wendy house in the garden with his lady friend Piglet. On Saturday (a week after the jab) I noticed he had a small lump on his nose. By Sunday morning this had turned into an angry red sore and he also had a sore in the corner of his eye.

On Monday night we took him to the vet who checked him over, looked at his "bits" and said he wasn't overly concerned about him but wanted to send some photos to the vaccination manufacturer to see if they could shed any light on it. He also informed us that immunity to myxi takes 3 weeks from the date of vaccination, which no one had ever mentioned to us. We brought Len and Pig back into the house the same night.

Since then he seems a little subdued, Isn't eating with the same gusto as usual, although he's still running around and exploring and he seems to have a bit of a snuffly nose. If it's not myxi does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'll try and post a pic of his poorly scabby nose and eye

Last edited:
I've never posted here before but I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on something worrying me about my bunny, Len.

He had his maxi/vhd jab about a week and a half ago and he moved outdoors to a converted Wendy house in the garden with his lady friend Piglet. On Saturday (a week after the jab) I noticed he had a small lump on his nose. By Sunday morning this had turned into an angry red sore and he also had a sore in the corner of his eye.

On Monday night we took him to the vet who checked him over, looked at his "bits" and said he wasn't overly concerned about him but wanted to send some photos to the vaccination manufacturer to see if they could shed any light on it. He also informed us that immunity to myxi takes 3 weeks from the date of vaccination, which no one had ever mentioned to us. We brought Len and Pig back into the house the same night.

Since then he seems a little subdued, Isn't eating with the same gusto as usual, although he's still running around and exploring and he seems to have a bit of a snuffly nose. If it's not maxi does anyone have any idea what it could be? I'll try and post a pic of his poorly scabby nose and eye

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny. Is Pig vaccinated?

I should keep him warm, hydrated (try to get him to eat wet leafy greens) and report any further symptoms straight back to your vet for further treatment. If his eye continues to be sore, the vet could prescribe some eye drops. Some vets also prescribe Metacam (painkiller) and Baytril (antibiotic) for this sort of thing and I think it would be worth asking your vet about these. It's important he doesn't get any secondary bacterial infection as a result of the nodule.

It is likely to be nodular myxi, which usually resolves itself in 4 - 6 weeks

There's some information here:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...vaccinated-myxi-rabbit&highlight=nodular+myxi

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?429122-Nodular-Myxomatosis-(&highlight=nodular+myxi

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?433139-possible-myxomatosis&highlight=nodular+myxi

Lots of good luck with Len and welcome to the Forum :wave: xx

Last edited:
Thank you so much for replying MightyMax,

Yes Pig was vaccinated back in December when we adopted her and she's showing no symptoms. I just feel so sorry for poor little Len. I'm still trying to work out how to upload a pic onto my post!

d19e3b178fe901bba345d4155f69d50c.jpg

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

This gives you a tutorial about uploading photos:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?136183-Tutorial-How-to-Post-Photos

It may be that Len has had a reaction to the vaccine, or it may be that he was already incubating Myxomatosis when he was vaccinated. As you have mentioned that he sounds 'snuffly' I think you need your Vet to re-examine him including listening to his lungs. The 'snuffling' may be due to the nodule occluding a nostril, but it is important to make sure that his lungs remain clear. Secondary bacterial pneumonia is what is more of a problem than the actual Myxomatosis virus itself. Your Vet will also be able to prescribe an eye ointment such as Fucithalmic, this will address both bacterial infection and inflammation. Hopefully making his eyes feel less sore.

A non steroidal anti-inflammatory such as Metacam is usually prescribed. The Myxo nudules can be painful and it is a good idea to try to minimise the amount of inflammation going on. The more comfortable the Rabbit is the more likely he will keep eating well and not develop secondary gut stasis. A covering antibiotic such as Baytril is often prescribed in Len's type of situation.

I hope he will go on to make a good recovery.

Thank you so much for replying MightyMax,

Yes Pig was vaccinated back in December when we adopted her and she's showing no symptoms. I just feel so sorry for poor little Len. I'm still trying to work out how to upload a pic onto my post!

Ah that's all good :thumb:

I suspect that Len's is a reaction to the vaccination, which can sometimes happen. It sounds like you're doing everything right - keeping him warm and watching him, encouraging him to eat etc.

As I mentioned, it's a good idea to ask your vet if he agrees with you having antibiotic cover for Len and also pain relief should he need it.

I saw his photo, and he looks a poorly soldier at the moment. Fingers crossed he will soon be well again :D

Thank you Jack's-Jane and thanks again MightyMax. Len has just demolished a raspberry I gave him as a treat and is in the process of tearing up a brown paper bag in my dining room, so he seems like his normal self :) I'm going to keep a close eye on him and just monitor his symptoms. I don't think the sores are hurting him too much because he allowed me to clean them with some damp cotton wool last night and is loving being groomed as much as ever. We'll just have to watch and wait

Just an update on Len, the vet came back to us and the vaccination manufacturer has suggested he could have had a latent infection or have been infected in the three weeks between vaccination and immunity. They said his reaction shouldn't be dangerous and he should recover but they've asked the vet to take conjunctival swabs. I'm just a bit concerned about his snuffling but hopefully the vet can give him something for that. Going to the vet just now so fingers crossed

Just an update on Len, the vet came back to us and the vaccination manufacturer has suggested he could have had a latent infection or have been infected in the three weeks between vaccination and immunity. They said his reaction shouldn't be dangerous and he should recover but they've asked the vet to take conjunctival swabs. I'm just a bit concerned about his snuffling but hopefully the vet can give him something for that. Going to the vet just now so fingers crossed

Thanks so much for the update. I hope all goes well at the vets :thumb:

Do keep me posted!

Hopefully the Vet will also assess Len's lungs and prescribe antibiotic cover if deemed to be necessary. The reply from the manufacturer is pretty standard, but at least they are requesting some further investigation. Do make sure that you are not charged for the swabs, your Vet should invoice the vaccine manufacturer for payment.

Thank you Jack's-Jane and thanks again MightyMax. Len has just demolished a raspberry I gave him as a treat and is in the process of tearing up a brown paper bag in my dining room, so he seems like his normal self :) I'm going to keep a close eye on him and just monitor his symptoms. I don't think the sores are hurting him too much because he allowed me to clean them with some damp cotton wool last night and is loving being groomed as much as ever. We'll just have to watch and wait

Len sounds lovely :love:

Just an additional thought, as his immune system will be a bit on the low side whatever is going on with him, you could give him a little echinacea to boost it.

Of course check with your vet if you're concerned, but it's very safe and very effective :thumb:

Thanks so much for the update. I hope all goes well at the vets :thumb:

Do keep me posted!
Thanks MightyMax, the vet seems to think that it's a mild dose of myxi, poor Len. He's given me some metacam to clear up the snuffles. His temperature's only up slightly and he hasn't lost much weight - they seem to think he should make a full recovery but have warned us that it could get worse. I've just given him a dose in some mashed up strawberry so we'll see how he goes

Hopefully the Vet will also assess Len's lungs and prescribe antibiotic cover if deemed to be necessary. The reply from the manufacturer is pretty standard, but at least they are requesting some further investigation. Do make sure that you are not charged for the swabs, your Vet should invoice the vaccine manufacturer for payment.
Thanks Jack's-Jane, they didn't charge for the swabs and they checked his lungs which seemed okay. They've given us some metacam to clear up his snuffles so now we just have to wait. He does seem quite lethargic but he's usually quite sedate during the day.

Back