• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Doe just had babies-go in her run??

Libbysmum

New Kit
My mini lop Libby had 4 kits two days ago, she is use to going in her run everyday and put back in her hutch at night..now that she has had her kits can I put her out in her run for daily exercise or does she need to stay in her hutch with her kits? Any help is appreciated thanks

My mini lop Libby had 4 kits two days ago, she is use to going in her run everyday and put back in her hutch at night..now that she has had her kits can I put her out in her run for daily exercise or does she need to stay in her hutch with her kits? Any help is appreciated thanks

She needs to be able to access her kits whenever she wants to. Although she will only feed them once a day, usually at night, she may feel the need to check on them at other times and it would be very distressing for her if she could not do so. Some supervised free range time in the garden for her to allow her to exercise would be OK. But it'd be better to have a secure and predator proof run area permanently attached to her hutch so she can come and go as she pleases.

Thank you Jack's-Jane for your reply.
As Libby is in a 3 tier hutch (middle) in the shed it might be better then if I give her some supervised exercise within the shed say half an hour and put a box by her hutch so that she can easily jump up and down. That way I feel she be stretching her legs even if it's for a little while.

It would certainly be more ideal if the run was attached to the hutch ... However, I'm sure she would appreciate a run around some of the time, as she won't need to feed the rabs more than once a day (usually). So judge it yourself if you'd like to separate her for a short spell. She may well appreciate it!

Thank you Mighty Max...when the kits are on the move would it be ok to let mum back in her run for short spells ?? At what age should mum and kits go in the run ??

Back