• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

It's not looking good for Neo

Freakinfreak

Alpha Buck
So, yesterday I took Neo to the vets because he wasn't eating much, was lethargic and drag hopping as if the muscles in his back legs weren't working. Came home after gut stimulant, zantac and metacam.

He didn't eat much, move or poo in the evening so he was back in this morning.

X-rays show a mass in his lower abdomen and an odd build up of unknown origin or type in the upper abdomen.

I think the only option I am happy with is to investigate and operate, to see if we can remove these masses...

I don't think he will survive the operation but I couldn't live with not at least trying to help him...

OH is just picking him up to bring him home for the evening, he's also taking a picture of the x-rays to show me. We have to decide by tomorrow to book him in with our vet.

WHY does this have to happen, being in this situation is awful, let alone being in it twice in under 6 months.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be asking for or really saying, but just needed to get it out :(

So, yesterday I took Neo to the vets because he wasn't eating much, was lethargic and drag hopping as if the muscles in his back legs weren't working. Came home after gut stimulant, zantac and metacam.

He didn't eat much, move or poo in the evening so he was back in this morning.

X-rays show a mass in his lower abdomen and an odd build up of unknown origin or type in the upper abdomen.

I think the only option I am happy with is to investigate and operate, to see if we can remove these masses...

I don't think he will survive the operation but I couldn't live with not at least trying to help him...

OH is just picking him up to bring him home for the evening, he's also taking a picture of the x-rays to show me. We have to decide by tomorrow to book him in with our vet.

WHY does this have to happen, being in this situation is awful, let alone being in it twice in under 6 months.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to be asking for or really saying, but just needed to get it out :(

I'm really sorry to hear about Neo. I know exactly how you feel - I have a similar issue with a rabbit of mine right now.

I know what you mean about wanting to try and help him. You will have to say your goodbyes before he goes in for the op. You don't want to prolong his suffering .. You are doing the right thing.

Big hopeful vibes to you and your bun that the op goes well.

I know it is a bit different but I took my 12 year old dog in to have a large mass removed from his liver. He had a few other minor health complaints but the vet said not to get our hopes up. He made it through and had the happiest 3 months of his life.

Be realistic, but never give up hope x

I am sorry that the news is not good :cry: I am sure that you will make the right decisions for Neo. It is a very distressing situation to be in :cry:

I would & have done the same. I know its really scary going in for that op where the prognosis is poor but our long eared friends do surprise us sometimes . I'm rooting for Neo & for your bunny too Mightymax

IMAG1001_1.jpg

Bottom left are the round bits, they aren't sure what exactly it could be. Also has a small calcium build up on the bottom right, and she's also a bit worried about his chest but said it could be linked.

:(:cry:

I'm so sorry. I will be thinking of you and Neo tomorrow.

Sending nose rubs for Neo and a hug for you. xx

I'm really sorry to hear about Neo. I know exactly how you feel - I have a similar issue with a rabbit of mine right now.

I know what you mean about wanting to try and help him. You will have to say your goodbyes before he goes in for the op. You don't want to prolong his suffering .. You are doing the right thing.

Oh gosh so sorry to hear you have issues too, fingers crossed for your bun... I've text my Mum to explain and said she can come round to see him as I know she'd miss him should anything happen.

I feel like we have to try to help even if we can't :(

Big hopeful vibes to you and your bun that the op goes well.

I know it is a bit different but I took my 12 year old dog in to have a large mass removed from his liver. He had a few other minor health complaints but the vet said not to get our hopes up. He made it through and had the happiest 3 months of his life.

Be realistic, but never give up hope x

Thank you, I have mentally prepared myself for the worst (as best as I can) and my supervisor knows about it too. We had a hug and a bit of a cry together as her dog passed away due to cancer. It's nice to have work on your side x

I am sorry that the news is not good :cry: I am sure that you will make the right decisions for Neo. It is a very distressing situation to be in :cry:

It's horrible, I feel so helpless again. He hasn't moved from his litter tray since we got him home... I'm feeling so useless :(

I would & have done the same. I know its really scary going in for that op where the prognosis is poor but our long eared friends do surprise us sometimes . I'm rooting for Neo & for your bunny too Mightymax

Thank you very much, your words mean a lot. If it isn't meant to be then it isn't meant to be but it doesn't make it feel any easier!

Your willingness to try , & then let go if need be, is what makes a top bunny carer imo. I really hope it works out well for Neo .

When would the op be? my apologies if you've already said

Your willingness to try , & then let go if need be, is what makes a top bunny carer imo. I really hope it works out well for Neo .

When would the op be? my apologies if you've already said

Mum just came over to say hello and maybe goodbye, we've been hearing him munching a little bit but even she noticed him look unlike himself and quite unwell.

I think the op would be to open him up and have a look at what it is, then try and remove it. From the x-ray you can see the balls, she said it'll either be something like a tumour, or possibly something he's ingested... I'm now really concerned it might be cardboard as he went through a mad cardboard phase. If it is my fault I'd seriously struggle to forgive myself!

Waiting game now, speaking with one of the surgery owners tomorrow morning to discuss things, then we'll book him in for the op on Thursday as it'll then be with the vet I trust the most.

Just worried, feels like we're in a hospice sat at home with him :(

Sending lots of vibes for Neo. At least whatever the outcome you will know that you have done your best for him and given him every chance. I really hope things turn out well for you.

:(If it is cardboard it doesn't make it your fault. It sound like you trust your vet :)that so helps!. The waiting is horrible, I wish you all strength to get you through this. Its nice to hear Nemo is eating a little:love:

Mum just came over to say hello and maybe goodbye, we've been hearing him munching a little bit but even she noticed him look unlike himself and quite unwell.

I think the op would be to open him up and have a look at what it is, then try and remove it. From the x-ray you can see the balls, she said it'll either be something like a tumour, or possibly something he's ingested... I'm now really concerned it might be cardboard as he went through a mad cardboard phase. If it is my fault I'd seriously struggle to forgive myself!

Waiting game now, speaking with one of the surgery owners tomorrow morning to discuss things, then we'll book him in for the op on Thursday as it'll then be with the vet I trust the most.

Just worried, feels like we're in a hospice sat at home with him :(

It's heart breaking I know, but try and make what *may* be his last few days really fun. He doesn't know there's a possibility his life may not continue. He's still the same bun!

I seriously doubt it's the cardboard, or there would be many many more buns being opened up and it discovered .... But if it is, it just is and it happened - it's no one's fault.

Back