• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Differences in diet after EC diagnosis/treatment

dortoto

Young Bun
Hi there, I wonder if anyone can advise me. I have a bun who was diagnosed with EC two and a half weeks ago. He is on medicine and will be for quite a while still and all his obvious symptoms have cleared up. The only thing is that he is not quite eating as I am used to, as I say I keep a close eye, they are house buns and I am home a lot of the time so I am fortunate to be able to know all of their little behaviours in detail. Bailey isn't eating quite as much hay as he used to and started eating straw for some reason. He turned his nose up at some vegetables but it more eager to eat a larger variety the last two days, still very little kale which he used to love. I keep putting hay in front of him and he eats bits but as I say not quite with the vigour I know, he spends more time sniffing out individual stalks.

I wonder if anyone has dealt with something like this? I am not overly worried because he is eating little bits throughout the day and I don't think that he has lost any more weight but I am wondering if I should be, if that makes sense...I also know that some buns take a long time to fully recover from EC and I also don't know if the medicine is perhaps making him feel a bit less nibbly?

I have spoken to the vet who is also not overly concerned, she said to keep encouraging him and I do. I am just wondering if someone has experience who can shed a bit of light.

Thank you.

Eugenie

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can advise me. I have a bun who was diagnosed with EC two and a half weeks ago. He is on medicine and will be for quite a while still and all his obvious symptoms have cleared up. The only thing is that he is not quite eating as I am used to, as I say I keep a close eye, they are house buns and I am home a lot of the time so I am fortunate to be able to know all of their little behaviours in detail. Bailey isn't eating quite as much hay as he used to and started eating straw for some reason. He turned his nose up at some vegetables but it more eager to eat a larger variety the last two days, still very little kale which he used to love. I keep putting hay in front of him and he eats bits but as I say not quite with the vigour I know, he spends more time sniffing out individual stalks.

I wonder if anyone has dealt with something like this? I am not overly worried because he is eating little bits throughout the day and I don't think that he has lost any more weight but I am wondering if I should be, if that makes sense...I also know that some buns take a long time to fully recover from EC and I also don't know if the medicine is perhaps making him feel a bit less nibbly?

I have spoken to the vet who is also not overly concerned, she said to keep encouraging him and I do. I am just wondering if someone has experience who can shed a bit of light.

Thank you.

Eugenie

Hi Eugenie :wave:

How was the E.C. diagnosis made? Did he have blood tests or was it by symptoms? If by symptoms - what were they?

Also, have his teeth been checked recently?

If he's on Panacur, it can affect digestion in some buns ...

Hi there, he was symptomatic, it was a slight tilt, stopped eating, incontinence, and loss of balance.
His teeth was checked 2 weeks ago and it was fine.

He is on Panacur yes, how would I know if his digestion is affected? and what can I do about it if it is? His tummy isn't bloated, I check once a day.

Hi Warren, he was symptomatic, it was a very slight tilt, stopped eating, incontinence (happened twice about 3 weeks apart), and loss of balance and confusion (eye rolling when I picked him up).

His teeth was checked 2 weeks ago and it was fine but I had to syringe feed for 3 days after the diagnosis.

He is on Panacur yes, how would I know if his digestion is affected? and what can I do about it if it is? His tummy isn't bloated, I check once a day.

Hi Warren, he was symptomatic, it was a very slight tilt, stopped eating, incontinence (happened twice about 3 weeks apart), and loss of balance and confusion (eye rolling when I picked him up).

His teeth was checked 2 weeks ago and it was fine but I had to syringe feed for 3 days after the diagnosis.

For the moment I would just try and encourage him to eat, as you are doing. Maybe some herbs - coriander and dill are often well received. Also freshly picked grass and rose leaves. Sometimes rabbits will prefer grass to hay ... same things really :)

Has the vet also given you medicine (Panacur) for your other bun/s? It passes between rabbits through spores in the urine.

You will also need to bleach (with a 10% solution) the litter trays and obvious 'wee' areas on days 21 and 28 of treatment (or whenever you can if that's not convenient)

For the moment I would just try and encourage him to eat, as you are doing. Maybe some herbs - coriander and dill are often well received. Also freshly picked grass and rose leaves. Sometimes rabbits will prefer grass to hay ... same things really :)

Has the vet also given you medicine (Panacur) for your other bun/s? It passes between rabbits through spores in the urine.

You will also need to bleach (with a 10% solution) the litter trays and obvious 'wee' areas on days 21 and 28 of treatment (or whenever you can if that's not convenient)

Yes both bunnies are on Panacur. I bought 3 bunches of corriander and dill over the weekend and he has been munching some, thanks. For some reason my buns do not like grass, I have tried grass from three neighbours as well as our own and nothing! I will try rose petals, our one neigbour has some but I will find out first if it has been sprayed, I doubt it though.

Day 21 is on Wednesday and I have logged it down... but I also bought a steam cleaner for them and have already had a full spring clean of everything, the litter trays are cleaned and steamed every day.

Thank you for your advice!

Yes both bunnies are on Panacur. I bought 3 bunches of corriander and dill over the weekend and he has been munching some, thanks. For some reason my buns do not like grass, I have tried grass from three neighbours as well as our own and nothing! I will try rose petals, our one neigbour has some but I will find out first if it has been sprayed, I doubt it though.

Day 21 is on Wednesday and I have logged it down... but I also bought a steam cleaner for them and have already had a full spring clean of everything, the litter trays are cleaned and steamed every day.

Thank you for your advice!

You're very welcome :thumb:

It sounds like you are doing everything perfectly!

Back