• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

He keeps trying to sniff her butt or so

FredW

Alpha Buck
My two have been together for just over three weeks now. Always snuggled up and usually inseparable. However I noticed that especially today he keeps putting his head in her butt and she keeps running away, then he runs after her. and she just sits in the corner of the run. Then next minute they both sit in the litter tray eating and pooping together. Is that normal, or do I need to or should do something?

Last edited:
Have you checked her 'under-carriage' to make sure all is well with regards to cleanliness ?

Is she the Doe who had complications after her spay or am I getting confused with somebun else ?

yeah I checked before, she's super clean down there. She did have some slight complications after her spay, but because she's too clean, she cleaned so much till she managed to get some of the stitching out. but all healed perfectly well. I noticed he does pull some hair from her when doing it as well. but then next minute they lay together grooming each other. so all a bit confusing to be honest.

yeah I checked before, she's super clean down there. She did have some slight complications after her spay, but because she's too clean, she cleaned so much till she managed to get some of the stitching out. but all healed perfectly well. I noticed he does pull some hair from her when doing it as well. but then next minute they lay together grooming each other. so all a bit confusing to be honest.

Is it possible to post a video of what he's doing. It's hard to interpret the interaction without being able to assess the body language of both Rabbits.

you must be psychic Jane, cause you're right, this time round it was all, licking her head instead.... this i got that was the closest to it... https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bl6yngziy0i0my/notgreatvid.wmv?dl=0
it really isn't the best video, but basically that's how he does it, he goes by her butt, then she runs off, then he follows her and right back in her butt, when they do it outside the run it's a case of her just jumping on the chairs in the end, or laying right next to me, where she knows he wont do it, but in the run she then runs to the other side kinda trying to hide in the corner. Though then i put food in, and they have to eat the same leave etc, and no fighting. when i put spring greens in, i give them both a separate piece, but they always eat the same, pulling it from each other, munching, pulling again, munching... but there seems no fighting with that at all. and they end up usually finishing off by grooming each other. it's just this butt sniffing or hair pulling he is trying to do that seems to upset her. hope that makes any more sense. maybe it's still a case of them trying to establish dominance as it has only been 3 weeks that they have been a couple.

you must be psychic Jane, cause you're right, this time round it was all, licking her head instead.... this i got that was the closest to it... https://www.dropbox.com/s/6bl6yngziy0i0my/notgreatvid.wmv?dl=0
it really isn't the best video, but basically that's how he does it, he goes by her butt, then she runs off, then he follows her and right back in her butt, when they do it outside the run it's a case of her just jumping on the chairs in the end, or laying right next to me, where she knows he wont do it, but in the run she then runs to the other side kinda trying to hide in the corner. Though then i put food in, and they have to eat the same leave etc, and no fighting. when i put spring greens in, i give them both a separate piece, but they always eat the same, pulling it from each other, munching, pulling again, munching... but there seems no fighting with that at all. and they end up usually finishing off by grooming each other. it's just this butt sniffing or hair pulling he is trying to do that seems to upset her. hope that makes any more sense. maybe it's still a case of them trying to establish dominance as it has only been 3 weeks that they have been a couple.

To me it looks like dominance, as you say. It's almost as if he's preparing to hump her, but she doesn't give him the chance :lol: He's thinking about it, but not fast enough! She obviously delights him :D

To me it looks like dominance, as you say. It's almost as if he's preparing to hump her, but she doesn't give him the chance :lol: He's thinking about it, but not fast enough! She obviously delights him :D

good point, he seems very much in love with her, and she with him. Whenever i "tell her off", not that i really do that, but whenever i say "NO". he's right there putting himself in front of her, as if to say, don't you dare say anything to her. so you may be right. He has tried to hump her a few times, but she's not having it. He was only neutered a few weeks before they got introduced i believe, would he still have some stuff from that?

good point, he seems very much in love with her, and she with him. Whenever i "tell her off", not that i really do that, but whenever i say "NO". he's right there putting himself in front of her, as if to say, don't you dare say anything to her. so you may be right. He has tried to hump her a few times, but she's not having it. He was only neutered a few weeks before they got introduced i believe, would he still have some stuff from that?

Yes definitely there would be hormones flying around on his part. In the Rescue where I worked we always reckoned males took about 12 weeks (maybe more in some cases) for hormones to settle.

But I love the way he protects her. It's as if he finds her wonderfully elusive but would really like to dominate her :D
Male buns! :lol:

Yes definitely there would be hormones flying around on his part. In the Rescue where I worked we always reckoned males took about 12 weeks (maybe more in some cases) for hormones to settle.

But I love the way he protects her. It's as if he finds her wonderfully elusive but would really like to dominate her :D
Male buns! :lol:

yeah only hit me when you said about the humping stuff. If I remember he only got done when he reached the first rescue, that was two weeks or so before he got to the one I got him from, so it would probably be no more than a couple of months that he was neutered. Would explain a lot of his behaviour with her, and probably also why he still sometimes pees outside the litter box, even though i see him starting to pee, and just go nearer to the run, and he hops straight in the box. i guess he's trying to be the alpha buck in the house lol
but yeah he is wonderful, i think they adore each other, and i bet he'd love to dominate her, and she seems laid back with most things not to care, but she's not liking that.

I think it's always so funny, how they just walk over each other to get to where they want, funny little things. love them so much. :)

Back