• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cutting a Rabbit's nails.

Milo2015

Warren Scout
I have guinea pigs and cut their nails fairly often.

I have only had the rabbits for a couple of months and am not sure if I need to cut them? or how I would go about it? They aren't overly keen on being held etc.

Do people take them to the vets?

Thanks

I get the vet nurse to do it as I'm not confident enough, but yes they do need doing.
It's good to get them used to being held for when you need to check bums/ears etc but that is easier said than done in my experience!

Right I shall go to the vets then. Given the scratch Penny gave me this afternoon I think vets are the way forward and I shall work on the taming.

thanks

I trim mine roughly every 3 weeks, but I guess this depends on how quickly your rabbit's nails grow.

My preferred method is this:

Usually my partner wraps ours in a blanket and I do the clipping (apparently my fingers are much less valuable!), it's definitely a two man job!

I have a vet plan which includes free nail clipping, I will use this first time to see (I'm so used to beardies where their nails are very different and I can't see Rosie's quick either) and hopefully be able to do myself but I think as Rosie isn't a fan and when I touch her feet her head goes down for a rub, it might have to be the vets for me too.

Back