• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Visiting Rabbit Boarders

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I am visiting two rabbit boarders tomorrow to put Bellatrix in for 5 days in summer and then a week at Christmas. I am really paranoid about leaving her but I'm not too sure about what I should be looking for and what questions I should ask? I know one of the main things is that she still gets human interaction as she is very much a people bunny and doesn't have a bunny friend yet. What should I definitely ask and look for?

Cleaning routines in between guests.
Whether they supply food or if you take your own.
What they do in an emergency, re vets, etc.

I am yet to find a good boarding establishment local to me. Good luck.

As part of asking about cleaning routine, I'd ask what disinfectant they use. I went one place once where she couldn't tell me what it was, just that it was blue and it definitely killed everything. I think anyone using a veterinary disinfectant will know exactly what it is they're using.

I'd chat about infectious diseases and get a sense from them whether they know what the common things are and how they can minimise the risk of it happening to any boarding clients (not putting bunnies on surfaces that can't be disinfected, e.g. grass, carpet etc, not giving them soft toys/rugs that will be used by other guests, that sort of thing). My pet hate (if you'll pardon the pun) is bunnies being put on runs on grass.

How clued up are they on things like referred aggression and how to minimise the risk of that happening. The number of photos I see of runs all lined up next to each other is astonishing, I hate it! Similarly if they move the bunnies from main accommodation into separate runs (again, something I don't really like personally), how do they do that, how much enrichment and security/hiding places is there in the run?

I'd also chat about signs of illnesses and satisfy myself that they can spot early signs of things not right and know what to do about it...and reassure myself that their vet is competent if it's too far to go to your bunnies' normal vet.

I've just noticed that first one has lovely accommodation but there's a pair of foxgloves in the foreground of the photo very close to the hutch - highly, highly toxic to bunnies and could kill them if the wind blows seeds/petals etc into the run! When you're visiting, please please tell them and ask them to pull them up straight away and keep their eyes out for any more which may have seeded.

I've just noticed that first one has lovely accommodation but there's a pair of foxgloves in the foreground of the photo very close to the hutch - highly, highly toxic to bunnies and could kill them if the wind blows seeds/petals etc into the run! When you're visiting, please please tell them and ask them to pull them up straight away and keep their eyes out for any more which may have seeded.

Oh that's bad, I didn't see them but I'll definitely let them know, thank you!

As part of asking about cleaning routine, I'd ask what disinfectant they use. I went one place once where she couldn't tell me what it was, just that it was blue and it definitely killed everything. I think anyone using a veterinary disinfectant will know exactly what it is they're using.

I'd chat about infectious diseases and get a sense from them whether they know what the common things are and how they can minimise the risk of it happening to any boarding clients (not putting bunnies on surfaces that can't be disinfected, e.g. grass, carpet etc, not giving them soft toys/rugs that will be used by other guests, that sort of thing). My pet hate (if you'll pardon the pun) is bunnies being put on runs on grass.

How clued up are they on things like referred aggression and how to minimise the risk of that happening. The number of photos I see of runs all lined up next to each other is astonishing, I hate it! Similarly if they move the bunnies from main accommodation into separate runs (again, something I don't really like personally), how do they do that, how much enrichment and security/hiding places is there in the run?

I'd also chat about signs of illnesses and satisfy myself that they can spot early signs of things not right and know what to do about it...and reassure myself that their vet is competent if it's too far to go to your bunnies' normal vet.

Echo all this, plus two other things.

Ask about their predator protection (and if anyone tells you they don't have foxes so it doesn't matter, run a mile)
Insist on seeing/smelling the hay they use. Visited a boarder once who's hay was mouldy, everything else seemed wonderful up until that point (she denied the fact it was bad when I pointed it out - even worse!)

I've just actually refused a boarding client due to referred aggression worries (two un-neutered bunnies at sexual maturity), sadly somewhere else will take them. I think referred aggression protocols (no bunnies within sight, no un-neutered buns in close proximity (scent range) to others etc) is REALLY important if you don't want a broken bond/a really wound-up single bunny.

Also in one of the pics rabbits and guineas in same run.....bad

Thanks for everyones help! I didn't get a good feeling from the second one I linked to, but this one- http://www.whbs.co.uk/bunny/ was great. The woman was very friendly and knowledgable, they are close by and use the same vets as me which is a huge bonus. The garden was completely fox proof and the runs were quite spread out and not all jammed together and I couldn't see any of the foxglove that was in the photos so she must have pulled them out. I'm not sure which photo catherine09 is referring to with the guinea pig and rabbit are in the same run?

She seemed to totally understand my worries and concerns and I feel as relaxed as I could be about the situation given I wouldn't leave Bellatrix at all if I had the choice!

Thanks for everyones help! I didn't get a good feeling from the second one I linked to, but this one- http://www.whbs.co.uk/bunny/ was great. The woman was very friendly and knowledgable, they are close by and use the same vets as me which is a huge bonus. The garden was completely fox proof and the runs were quite spread out and not all jammed together and I couldn't see any of the foxglove that was in the photos so she must have pulled them out. I'm not sure which photo catherine09 is referring to with the guinea pig and rabbit are in the same run?

She seemed to totally understand my worries and concerns and I feel as relaxed as I could be about the situation given I wouldn't leave Bellatrix at all if I had the choice!

It's on the accommodation page, pic where all the runs are on grass. There's a B&W dutchie in with some guinea pigs

It's on the accommodation page, pic where all the runs are on grass. There's a B&W dutchie in with some guinea pigs

Thanks, I can see now. I know some people swear that their combination of rabbits and piggies work so maybe that was just a customers wishes? I might ask her. Thanks for pointing it out

Back