• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
Joey is moulting a lot at the back, he really doesn't like being brushed but I've been brushing him anyway, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Should I try and get the old fur off him or just leave him to sort it?

Joey is moulting a lot at the back, he really doesn't like being brushed but I've been brushing him anyway, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Should I try and get the old fur off him or just leave him to sort it?

Bit of both if you can :thumb: Lots of hay, as it will move the hair through his gut, and water of course.

Sometimes combing a rabbit is a never ending job. I use a cat's moulting comb - it seems to get masses out :thumb:

I use a soft pet brush that i spray with warm water and then brush the buns and after that I matt them down with a grooming mitten and I get tons of fur off. I definitely recommend damp hands or a spray bottle to use with a soft brush. xx

Do they sit still while say munching grass or anything else? If so, I find plucking very theraputic providing you don't overdo it, but on saying that if they get fed up they'll hop off. I got some out of Coco tonight as she was too intent on eating her supper and there's the teeniest tiniest of "bald" patches now appearing on her side. Thumper always seems to moult a bit later for some reason and yet they are sisters from the same litter!

They don't sit still for long enough unless I'm holding them. They'll let me stroke them but then they run off, thank you for the advice I'll give some of these a go :)

I'm still getting 2 handfuls out of Lopsy every morning :roll: Matt has a go in the evening too, and gets loads. I'm a bit rougher than Matt so Lopsy tends to run off ;P I'm gentle though! It's just that Matt's supersoft... :lol:

It is important to remove the old fur. The risk of fly strike is much higher for rabbits with clagged coats that can't feel the flies land on them. And some rabbits are prone to stasis from ingesting too much extra fur during a heavy moult. A cat comb is the only thing that really gets it all out.

Just had Toffee on my lap, and managed to get loads off him ! I had rubber gloves on, and used a light plucking motion to tease it out. He wasn't keen but a fenugreek crunchie made it ok :D

Back