• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are bunnies usually ok on wood and/or lino flooring?

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I am having my new indoor pen build for my babies from Boyles, should be ready within the next few weeks. He's doing the flooring with wood, but I asked him to put lino over it as my little boy still has little accidents where he doesn't understand that he should go in the litter tray, plus much easier to keep clean for them. and there will also be a shelf and a hideaway box for them on a second level. Of course shelve and box are both timber flooring. both my bunnies have always been indoor bunnies on carpet, and I know neither can walk on kitchen tiles. So now it's getting closer to the pen being done I am starting to worry that they may not be able to walk on it. I know many on here have got Boyles stuff with shelves etc... so just wonder, are they usually ok on those timber floors, or do I need to get something like floor mats to put down for them to keep running on?
hope I made any sense here.
by the way, they have these houses https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/fun-stuff/wooden-houses-by-the-hay-experts.html and Bunbuns hops on the small one sometimes and sits on it, but she does find it a bit slippery. wonder if the flooring will be very much the same. do they get used to it?

My shed buns are a on a wood floor atm - I put down those large seagrass mats for extra grip which they nibble a bit but not as much as I thought they would. I'm planning stable matting for winter for extra insulation.

My shed buns are a on a wood floor atm - I put down those large seagrass mats for extra grip which they nibble a bit but not as much as I thought they would. I'm planning stable matting for winter for extra insulation.

I'd definitely opt for stable matting. Hard flooring can cause issues with sore hocks, injuries from slipping when jumping into litter trays etc. I have known of one Rabbit sustain a fractured leg as a result of this type of injury and another sustain a spinal injury. Consequently I would never use just wood/vinyl flooring in Rabbit accommodation.

Hi,
I am having my new indoor pen build for my babies from Boyles, should be ready within the next few weeks. He's doing the flooring with wood, but I asked him to put lino over it as my little boy still has little accidents where he doesn't understand that he should go in the litter tray, plus much easier to keep clean for them. and there will also be a shelf and a hideaway box for them on a second level. Of course shelve and box are both timber flooring. both my bunnies have always been indoor bunnies on carpet, and I know neither can walk on kitchen tiles. So now it's getting closer to the pen being done I am starting to worry that they may not be able to walk on it. I know many on here have got Boyles stuff with shelves etc... so just wonder, are they usually ok on those timber floors, or do I need to get something like floor mats to put down for them to keep running on?
hope I made any sense here.
by the way, they have these houses https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/fun-stuff/wooden-houses-by-the-hay-experts.html and Bunbuns hops on the small one sometimes and sits on it, but she does find it a bit slippery. wonder if the flooring will be very much the same. do they get used to it?

Some lino is easier to walk on than others. The thin shiny sort can be difficult, but the puffier "tile" effect would probably be OK.

You could put some IKEA mats down, as I do on my laminated floor - so long as they have some traction to help them. You can also get the 'underlay' stuff (sorry I can't remember the name) which helps mats not to slip. It's very cheap .. it could go under doormats and carpet offcuts.

You could also think of stable matting, which a few people on here use. If your bun hops onto slippery things, try putting some of the non-slip stuff on it (I usually top with a vet bed piece to make it comfortable)

ok will be getting some mats and stuff. I thought I should anyway, so will see what I can find.
I know the underlay stuff you mean.... cant remember what it's called now either, but if anyone has a good one they recommend, as not all work the same, I'd be more than happy to know ;)
i'll be contacting Daniel tomorrow asking for the measurements of the shelf, since we added it later and just get something for that and the flooring and box, that should cover most then.

I am thinking I may get some carpet tiles for the floor, found some fleece with grip already for the other bits, but the floor I am torn between carpet tiles and a couple of large runners. i wonder if i can use a none slip grip underlay, that you usually use for runners etc, and put that under carpet tiles. has anyone tried that?

Back