• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Want to grow grass for indoor buns, any tips

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I am thinking of growing some grass for my indoor buns, just wonder if anyone else does that, and if so, any good tips on where to plant it in? I was thinking of planting it in one or two under bed storage boxes, like their litter trays, but just wonder if there are some better things to plant it in that work better.

I've never tried growing grass but under bed storage boxes seem a good idea in that they are big! When I've grown herbs for my buns they are demolished in seconds :lol: You may struggle to keep up with demand! Maybe throw some coriander seeds in too ?

Yeah I have a few ways;

- grow in pots and rotate days so it's a constant supply
- litter trays and dog beds to help make bigger displays

As long as the soil is kept moist (not necessarily wet) and got some light then all should be good. I grow mind on windowsill or outside where it's a glass dome so heats up nicely.

thanks for your replies. I was thinking of maybe adding a few different seeds in as well and having a couple or more different once to swap over.
loving the dog bed idea, as that should work well. they both have a tendency to toss stuff around, so I think pots would just get thrown around, but dog beds.... well they would have a hard time with that lol
do you have any recommendations with regards to best seeds to get? was thinking of getting those grass seeds from here https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/edibles/grown-your-own.html

I grow grass in big square seedling trays and it works really well! I tend to have 2-3 on the go and rotate when one is looking patchy :)

I usually just use basic ryegrass lawn seeds but put some cat grass (I think) seeds in there last year so it was a bit more exciting. I just stick them on a windowsill and they grow quite quickly :)

Ferg also likes them as beds when it's hot, I think the soil and grass must be nice and cool - he's always napping on them!

I grow cat grass in heavy flattish clay pots - I give it to the buns intermittently, they graze it down and it regrows when I take it away, we're on about the 7th regrow with a couple of our pots :)

I've got some dandelion on the go and haven't tried timothy grass but plan to soon, right now I'm using cat grass which doesn't seem to last long with her munching :lol:

I have some organic wheatgrass seeds, and when I'm not making wheat bags with them, I grow them for myself and the buns to eat.

The buns love them, and I think they taste nicer to them than to me :D

I got timothy hay seeds and some dead nettle from rabbit nutrition but it looks like they've closed. I plant up seedling trays and rotate them

7a09aa8864385bf9891c6717e61831ed_zpsbcgqwqf7.jpg

oh I like what you've done here. those trays look great, are they just normal seeding trays?

Yes I got a pack from the garden centre. There was borage in the pots but that didn't do very well, think I'd have been better putting them straight in the ground.

As rabbit nutrition have closed I'd think the hay experts would be a good place to get seeds

Yes I got a pack from the garden centre. There was borage in the pots but that didn't do very well, think I'd have been better putting them straight in the ground.

As rabbit nutrition have closed I'd think the hay experts would be a good place to get seeds

Or Galen's Garden have a good seed range too. :)

oh yeah, I had Galen's Garden in my favourites, forgot about that, gonna check out in the morning. :)

Back