• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Head Scanning and circling

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Late last night I head a noise in the kitchen and Came up to see that Cody had ran right across the kitchen and was quite disoriented. He then started to scan from left to right and I could see he was distressed. He wouldn't take any food from me either and he would usually eat anything. He seemed to calm after half an hour but was still scanning. This morning though he appears to be fine. Eating and behaving normally. Eating and drinking. What could this be ? Mini stroke, ear infection, ec?? My vet isn't in until Tuesday. As Rosie is on antibiotics for sinnitus could Cody have caught anything from her and its manifesting itself differently??

I'm sorry to hear Cody is unwell. I think your suspicions re: possible diagnosis could be correct unfortunately. i think i'd call the emergency vet, I wouldnt wait til tues. Good luck

Late last night I head a noise in the kitchen and Came up to see that Cody had ran right across the kitchen and was quite disoriented. He then started to scan from left to right and I could see he was distressed. He wouldn't take any food from me either and he would usually eat anything. He seemed to calm after half an hour but was still scanning. This morning though he appears to be fine. Eating and behaving normally. Eating and drinking. What could this be ? Mini stroke, ear infection, ec?? My vet isn't in until Tuesday. As Rosie is on antibiotics for sinnitus could Cody have caught anything from her and its manifesting itself differently??

I have had this in a rabbit, and taken him to my vet, only to find the vet had no idea what on earth the problem could be. I say this because if my regular vet was stumped, I doubt an emergency vet would know what's going on unless he was really clued up. So I believe it could be any of the things you mentioned, and if he's settled down for now, I would wait until Tuesday to talk with your vet.

I'm sure you are getting other answers to your post, so hopefully you have a bigger picture and other help too :D

It is quite worrying and i hope it's a one off like ur bun Mighty Max. Yeah I guess I have no choice but to wait til Tuesday. He is such a chilled relaxed bun and he is around 8 years old . It wasn't nice seeing him upset. But he is ok for now which is good.

Joey&Boo where i live the local vets r mainly farm vets so i have to travel 90 mins to see my rabbit savy vet but she doesn't work Mondays which is a bummer .

Joey&Boo where i live the local vets r mainly farm vets so i have to travel 90 mins to see my rabbit savy vet but she doesn't work Mondays which is a bummer .

I get you! - totally agree with Mightymax then. The cessation of symptoms has to be a good thing & I know from experience how pointless non savvy vet contact can be.

Nicky, have a look at his eyes. Do they look to have a cloudy film across them ?

I am glad that Cody seems to be OK again at the moment.

Hi Jane. No he doesn't have a film across his eyes. He has had a piece of white gunk sit on his eye and it moves around from time to time. U could lift if off in theory. I am guessing though that is just like harmless sleep that humans get. When light shines into Codes eyes there is a redness to them - I mean he was born with a reddish tinge to them. They aren't as brown as the other buns. Read something about red eye buns scanning but maybe they do that all the time.

Hi Jane. No he doesn't have a film across his eyes. He has had a piece of white gunk sit on his eye and it moves around from time to time. U could lift if off in theory. I am guessing though that is just like harmless sleep that humans get. When light shines into Codes eyes there is a redness to them - I mean he was born with a reddish tinge to them. They aren't as brown as the other buns. Read something about red eye buns scanning but maybe they do that all the time.

Yes, in REW Rabbits scanning is something that occurs a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pG5NVZgknI

Just watched that clip. Cody was scanning slower than this though.

What you described with him being disorientated is not the same as a Red eyed rabbit scanning. It's a very difficult thing to describe, if I've understood you correctly. I can only say that to my (untrained) mind, it is *very* loosely related to seizure. That doesn't mean in any way that he will have a seizure, or that the sort of episode you've described will ever happen again.

Just watched that clip. Cody was scanning slower than this though.

No, a REW scan is something that is usually evident from when they are babies. A scan that develops in later life is usually indicative of either a 'new' loss of vision and/or a neurological issue. The reason I asked about Cody's eyes is that older Rabbits can develop cataracts. This can lead to reduced vision and consequently the Rabbit may be more easily spooked by something that they may not have been bothered by in the past.

It isn't really possible for us to give you a definitive explanation of what you witnessed based on a description given in text. A check up with your Vet on Tuesday would be a good idea for Cody, if for no other reason than to put your mind at rest xx

Thanks Jane. I will bring him down Tuesday as I need to speak to vet about Rosie as she is making that noise all the time now even when running about. Don't think septrin is working.

Thanks Jane. I will bring him down Tuesday as I need to speak to vet about Rosie as she is making that noise all the time now even when running about. Don't think septrin is working.

Oh dear, your Rabbits are certainly testing your stress tolerance aren't they. Sending lots more vibes for them both xx

A few years ago I had the head scanning and circling in a siamese sable dwarf bunny. He was given antibiotics and Metacam and one of them helped him recover completely. There was never any confirmed diagnosis.
Is there any way you can call your vet to ask if it would be advisable to begin medications prior to your appointment?

Bunny momma I would love to start medicating as I have both metacam, baytril and septrin at the moment but the vet doesn't work Monday's. I could speak to the other Vet their though and see if he thought it would do any harm to start and at what dose. I wouldn't give any without vet advice obviously. Thanks for advice.

Back