• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies and Lawns

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
Hi all

I'm after some advice re a new lawn ........ currently our back garden is paved but we're thinking of having a grassed area for the bunnies.

Do I have to get a special kind of turf that hasn't been treated? Once its down, is there anything I can use to keep it top tip that's bunny safe?

What do you all use on your lawns?

Any general tips on how to keep it looking nice? (I've never had a lawn before, well not one that I have to look after)!

Thanks

xx

Mine is all paved too with a raised bed along one side. I dug all the flowers out of the beds and bought turf from B n Q and laid it. The buns love it. I very occasionally brush the poop off and will be giving it a haircut this week as they are indoor buns so not on it all the time. If it gets tatty over winter I just lay new turf :D That's it!

get hardwearing lawn turf if possible might last alittle longer, you can aerate it in spring/autumn and rake out any moss spring time

Be careful with turf from B&Q. The last lot I got from there had a very fine plastic mesh in the soil (must make it easier for them to sow and harvest). Mine naturally dug and got their toes caught in the mesh. Also didn't want them ingesting any plastic. Of course, different stores will have different suppliers so your local store may be fine. But I'd advise poking around on the underside in the soil, to make sure it's just soil and that there's no plastic in there.

I have to say that in my 25+ years of bunny owning, I've always put down turf, given it a hefty soaking with the hosepipe to wash away any residual fertilizer or chemicals and then let the bunnies on it straight away. Never had any issues.

Back