• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone used this before....

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi, my bunnies are both indoor bunnies and extremely clean. however since they are going to be boarded in a few weeks time, while I am putting up their new accommodation, I am wondering if I should protect them regarding fly strike. I asked the vet and he said as long as they clean themselves it really isn't needed, but I wonder if I should still be extra careful.
I looked into rearguard, and I think I may have trouble applying it to my babies, they are both extremely spirited to say the least. So I am looking for alternatives, and found this spray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Fly-Guard-Month-75ml/dp/B002GT4PMW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
I think a spray would be easier to use as it doesn't require me rubbing it into their fur, or on their fur, since especially my doe doesn't even like being groomed by me. she's fine with cuddles, and all, and her husbun can groom her all day long, but bring a brush and she turns vicious. I tried all different brushes, and she doesn't like them, so now I just wet my hands slightly and go over it with that to take any hair off, and it seems to work.
anyway.... basically, has anyone used this product before, is it effective enough, or do you recommend any other product, preferably one that's a spray, simply as I may actually get it on them. though no doubt, how clean those two are, they will try to lick off whatever I put on anyway. :)

Hi, my bunnies are both indoor bunnies and extremely clean. however since they are going to be boarded in a few weeks time, while I am putting up their new accommodation, I am wondering if I should protect them regarding fly strike. I asked the vet and he said as long as they clean themselves it really isn't needed, but I wonder if I should still be extra careful.
I looked into rearguard, and I think I may have trouble applying it to my babies, they are both extremely spirited to say the least. So I am looking for alternatives, and found this spray http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Fly-Guard-Month-75ml/dp/B002GT4PMW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
I think a spray would be easier to use as it doesn't require me rubbing it into their fur, or on their fur, since especially my doe doesn't even like being groomed by me. she's fine with cuddles, and all, and her husbun can groom her all day long, but bring a brush and she turns vicious. I tried all different brushes, and she doesn't like them, so now I just wet my hands slightly and go over it with that to take any hair off, and it seems to work.
anyway.... basically, has anyone used this product before, is it effective enough, or do you recommend any other product, preferably one that's a spray, simply as I may actually get it on them. though no doubt, how clean those two are, they will try to lick off whatever I put on anyway. :)

Personally I have never used an 'Fly Strike preventer'. They all contain very nasty chemicals which have been known to cause significant side effects in some Rabbits. No 'preventer' can ever be an adequate substitute for good husbandry. Not suggesting you thought it would, but some people believe that if they use Rearguard, for example, then they dont have to bother doing Bunny bum checks at least twice a day, More in 'high risk' situations such as with a disabled Rabbit.

I would suggest using fly deterrents such as fly netting, fly catching strips, electronic fly zappers, citronella oil to try to minimise the ability of flies getting near the Rabbits in the first place. I would not be happy to Board my Rabbits with anyone who did not do this as a matter of routine, especially during Summer months.

I haven't used it and wouldn't either. Are you not confident that your boarding establishment will check them over twice daily and keep the accommodation really clean? Will they be boarded outdoors?

Good point. to be honest, I don't think I have seen a fly here in years. I think we had one flying around last year, but that was it. no idea why there are none here, but I never see them anymore. I do get to check their bums regular, and they clean them very thoroughly so there have never been any issues. and like I said, my vet even thought it wasn't needed. I guess I just always worry when I have them not with me that anything could happen. but they are likely going to go back to the place where I got Fluffy from, to the rescue (well no longer a rescue anymore, but they still take adopted buns back for holiday boarding), and she looked after Bunbuns very well before. So I probably wont bother, never used it for Bunbuns in over two years and she's always been perfectly fine, so i'll go with what you said too, just keep making sure no flies get in, which so far they haven't anyway, and that my babies stay clean, which they seem to, and keep checking as I have done for the last few years. Thanks :)

I haven't used it and wouldn't either. Are you not confident that your boarding establishment will check them over twice daily and keep the accommodation really clean? Will they be boarded outdoors?

Well they will likely to go back for a few days where he came from, and they had Bunbuns before, they are hot on health checks etc, so I guess I am just being over cautious, since they usually let them run in the garden runs during the day, and indoors during the night. Which there were fine in two weeks ago. no idea why I always worry so much about anyone else handling my babies, when they probably know more about how to handle them then I do.

Back