• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny seems a bit under the weather

beki

Mama Doe
I've just been out to see the bunnies and Ruby doesn't seem quite right. Her eye is wet again (had a problem with inflamed ducts a few months back) and she is holding the ear on that side down a bit. She also doesn't seem her usual self. She is grumpy on warm days but it's not that warm today so I'm not sure what is wrong. I have given her some grass and she has eaten it but she feels like she is getting a bit boney again (she goes like this every so often, she eats a bit less, goes boney and then eats more again and fattens up, it happens every 6 months or so). She also seemed a bit shakey on her legs :( could the ear being held down be a sign of anything wrong? It's not completely down just a little bit but she usually holds them completely upright.

With a toddler and a 3 week old baby I haven't been able to give the rabbits as much attention as I would like lately. They have been fed daily and checked over - Bertie has ec so I check his eye regularly to make sure it hasn't got worse which would require another vet trip. But I haven't actually handled the bunnies for 3 weeks now (baby who requires almost constant feeding making this difficult). I really
Hope she is not poorly, I'll have to wait for my husband to come home and once my son has gone to bed we had better bring her in and give her a check over.

Both bunnies were treated with lapizole 28 day course as soon as I found out about Bertie's ec, the course finished at the end of April. I am really worried she could still get ec from him, is this a risk?

Son has just dropped off for a quick nap so I've got Ruby out and checked her over. She is hopping but seems a little unbalanced on the side with the poorly eye and tilted ear. I can see the third eyelid in the poorly eye, quite a lot of it, and some white goo in the corner of her eye. Could it be an ear infection and her eye flaring up again? I'd better ring the vets I think and see if my husband can take her for me tomorrow

Son has just dropped off for a quick nap so I've got Ruby out and checked her over. She is hopping but seems a little unbalanced on the side with the poorly eye and tilted ear. I can see the third eyelid in the poorly eye, quite a lot of it, and some white goo in the corner of her eye. Could it be an ear infection and her eye flaring up again? I'd better ring the vets I think and see if my husband can take her for me tomorrow

It could be either a middle ear infection or EC. I would definitely get a Vet to take a look at her as with either condition the sooner treatment is started the better. Sending vibes for her xx

It sounds like the best thing to take her to the vet. It could certainly be an ear infection. Best see the vet before the weekend sets in.

Good luck x

I've got an appointment for 10.20am tomorrow. I hope my bunny is alright and it is easily treatable.

I've got an appointment for 10.20am tomorrow. I hope my bunny is alright and it is easily treatable.

Hopefully getting her onto treatment tomorrow will nip things in the bud and she will make a good recovery. Poor you too, you must be exhausted. I am sure that caring for a 3 week old baby means that sleep is not something you are able to get much of.

Sending vibes for your bunny and you.
Congratulations on the new baby!
Please update us on Ruby after she gets to the vet.

I will update after my appointment.

No not a lot of sleep going on here jane :)

I feel so bad that i have missed.this happening! I know as long as Fed and watered the bunnies are ok without much contact from.me for a short while as they have each other but due to berties ec and rubys age (6 and a half) I should perhaps have been keeping a closer eye on them. Berties ec eye seems fine though and I think rubys ear can only have been bothering her the last 2 or 3 days at the.most, the eye though looks like it could have been bothering her longer but i suspect it could look worse than it actually is as since her previous partner died last November ruby has been a bit slack with washing herself, I think her previous partner was very much in charge of grooming her and berties grooming of her isn't up to scratch!

I feel so bad that i have missed.this happening! I know as long as Fed and watered the bunnies are ok without much contact from.me for a short while as they have each other but due to berties ec and rubys age (6 and a half) I should perhaps have been keeping a closer eye on them. Berties ec eye seems fine though and I think rubys ear can only have been bothering her the last 2 or 3 days at the.most, the eye though looks like it could have been bothering her longer but i suspect it could look worse than it actually is as since her previous partner died last November ruby has been a bit slack with washing herself, I think her previous partner was very much in charge of grooming her and berties grooming of her isn't up to scratch!

So it seems from the time of your post !!

Good luck at the Vets this morning xx

Grooming lessons in order then :lol:

Hope all goes well today x

So the vets trip was ok. She has an ulcer on her eye so I've got some eye ointment for it. Her teeth were checked and her ears and they were all fine. The vet thinks she might just be holding her ear down due to pain for her eye. She has lost weight though, she is 1.85kg and she is usually 2.2kg at her heaviest but last time I took her to the vets she was 2kg, the vet thinks she might not be eating if her eye is hurting her so she will hopefully put weight back on, my husband got legs at home pellets though last week and I have noticed the rabbits have been eating less so I think I'll go and get more excel pellets which they like and hopefully she will fatten up if I give her more pellets. I've got an appointment next Saturday as the vet wants to check her eye and also check that her weight is increasing again.

Apart from increasing pellets what else can I give her to help her gain some weight?

Yes I think Bertie needs grooming lessons! He is all clean with lovely soft fur so he is obviously looking after himself

Back