• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Magpies?

Kosu

Warren Scout
Has anyone else ever had trouble with Magpies pecking at their rabbits?

The last couple of days a couple of magpies have been jumping round the rabbit runs trying to peck them through the bars. Of course this spooks them so they are out of pecking reach. All apart from Salt who is too lazy to move. I had to run outside yesterday to chase away a Magpie that was pecking her bum. Im worried they might hurt her.

I think they are after their fur so im going to groom the dogs later and leave an 'offering' for them. :?

I shoo them away, as they are quite brave and just do as they wish! I don't trust them around my free ranging buns - fortunately they fly off.

Yes. But I've generally found it's the newly fledged youngsters who are fascinated with the bunnies. The older ones seem to ignore them.

Not the current bun, but Charlie kicked one in the beak once...! Needless to say it didn't try again. And that was through 1x1/2" mesh.

When I read the title, I initially thought of the colouring - my Nessarose was a magpie lionhead and stunning. :love:

However, no, I haven't had any problems with magpies thankfully. We tend to get a lot of seagulls around, but they don't bother the trio outside either. Our issue is cats - our own! But they are scared of the rabbits and the rabbits are never bothered by the cats! The cats, meanwhile, believe the hutches are their sun perches. :)

Back