• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think it may be time to neuter

daisymaisy

Young Bun
Evening all x

Think I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow to see about getting Daisy & Maisy in for spaying on Tuesday. Maisy has become very scatty this week, and has decided she's not so keen on being handled after all (I have many scratches to prove it). Slightly concerned that they're only 16 weeks old this Sunday, but I know the vet was happy to do them sooner rather than later, and she'll not proceed if unhappy with their weight.

Maisy's nails are razor sharp, so pretty sure they need a trim, but with her new found scattyness there's no chance of me doing them, so if nothing else I'm hoping they can be tended to professionally!

I hope all goes well for them. Personally I would be very reluctant to spay a Doe at 16 weeks based on just her becoming 'feisty'. There is no guarantee that spaying will change that, the majority of Rabbits do not relish being picked up. But of course that is just my unqualified opinion, it is not my decision to make. You obviously have great confidence in your Vet and that is always important :)

Evening all x

Think I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow to see about getting Daisy & Maisy in for spaying on Tuesday. Maisy has become very scatty this week, and has decided she's not so keen on being handled after all (I have many scratches to prove it). Slightly concerned that they're only 16 weeks old this Sunday, but I know the vet was happy to do them sooner rather than later, and she'll not proceed if unhappy with their weight.

Maisy's nails are razor sharp, so pretty sure they need a trim, but with her new found scattyness there's no chance of me doing them, so if nothing else I'm hoping they can be tended to professionally!

Yes I'm sure your vet is confident with spaying rabbits, even as young as 4 months. Usually 5 - 6 months is recommended, but that said, if they are a good weight and your vet thinks it's wise, then I hope all goes well!

Well as long as your vet is happy that they are healthy and happy then no reason not to o for it. But I do second above; Rosie when I first got her slept in the evenings on my chest but now shes no interest on being on anyone, most is two paws on my leg. So she may not be interested in being held after either, might just be she herself is just adapting.

But good luck and I hope they can get done

We'll play it by ear on this one - if she thinks too early I'll at least try to get Maisy's nails trimmed! I think I'm also being over-cautious, worrying about the sisters suddenly turning on each other one day. Can that happen without warning, or would there be signs leading up to a falling-out?

We'll play it by ear on this one - if she thinks too early I'll at least try to get Maisy's nails trimmed! I think I'm also being over-cautious, worrying about the sisters suddenly turning on each other one day. Can that happen without warning, or would there be signs leading up to a falling-out?

It often happens if one Doe keeps trying to mount the other. This will be seen as a dominance mounting by the Doe on the receiving end. It may not be dominance driven but the Doe doing the mounting may just be responding to her hormones telling her she needs to be mated up. If the Doe being mounted (and thinking it is a message telling her the other Doe is Boss) objects to being 'second in command' and retaliates that is when a fight can kick off. Especially with all the hormones flying about. Think PMT x 1000 !

There are often warning signs of problems developing, but not always. Sometimes it can just happen with no obvious (to us mere humans) warnings at all.

Thank you Jack's-Jane. Going to try nail clipping over the weekend, and if I can manage it will hold off vets for another few weeks. Really appreciate all the advise on here x

Yes good idea to play it by ear. It's unlikely they will suddenly turn on one another - it often manifests as one Doe trying to dominate, and if you've two strong willed Does then that can cause a clash of temperaments. However, just watch and see - You'll soon learn 'bunny language' and know what to do :D

Awe my Gypsy is 18 weeks now and i have phoned the vets to ask about doing her as I have some vouchers for them that need to be used by August and luckily my vet will accept them but he won't even look at her until 6 months old and because she is a large Rabbit they are unsure even at that stage :roll: I myself cannot wait as she can them mix with the other 2 after she has healed. xx

Not so good at bunny language yet MightyMax, although I think I've mastered the 'I don't want to be picked up' sign, but only because it bloody hurts!!! Will have extra cuddle and handle time over the weekend to chill her out a little :)

Thank you Jack's-Jane. Going to try nail clipping over the weekend, and if I can manage it will hold off vets for another few weeks. Really appreciate all the advise on here x

If you have someone who could hold her securely as you do the nail clipping that would probably the best option. It is helpful to have an extra pair of hands and it means that Bunny will have less of a chance to get into 'struggle mode'. Good luck xx

Not so good at bunny language yet MightyMax, although I think I've mastered the 'I don't want to be picked up' sign, but only because it bloody hurts!!! Will have extra cuddle and handle time over the weekend to chill her out a little :)

Oh dear! :lol::shock:

You love your rabbits and I'm sure you'll understand them (to a degree - who really understands them?!) in time!

Back