• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argument with Mum over rabbits...

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Need a little vent!
I asked my mum about getting another rabbit as a friend for Flo soon. She replied saying that is it a good idea taking her to my new house as I will come home for Christmas etc and would have to board her or find a pet sitter. I questioned why she said this as she needs a friend whether she comes with me or not. She said she can not have a friend if she stays at home because we 'don't have enough room' (even though we have a big garden!!!!!!). I told my mum that means she is not giving me a choice so I would have to take Flo with me as she needs a friend end of story.
Then proceeded to argue... mum said she was 'just a pet' which made me really fluffing angry seeing as I work with 'just pets' to save their lives everyday! :censored: I said how would she like it if she was on her own in a house with no human contact for your whole life and she just replied that she wasn't a rabbit. I told her she didn't understand.

Flo means the world to me and I just want her to have the best life possible and just because my mum is an incompetent rabbit owner I can't let it affect Flo's welfare. There is no way I am leaving Flo at home now.

*rant over*:cry:

Yes, I understand that. 2 members of my family made similar remarks when Ricky Bun passed away a few weeks ago:

Mum: "But you have more bunnies?" Yes I do, but that's not the point. I'm upset coz one of them died.

Cousin: "It's just a rabbit!"

SO angry.

Yes, I understand that. 2 members of my family made similar remarks when Ricky Bun passed away a few weeks ago:

Mum: "But you have more bunnies?" Yes I do, but that's not the point. I'm upset coz one of them died.

Cousin: "It's just a rabbit!"

SO angry.

It's so infuriating isn't it! That must have been so horrible in your time of grieving.

Oh I am so sorry. Luckily my mum loves my Rabbits and loves coming over to my house to cuddle them but my sisters have resorted to judging me for having Rabbits in my house because apparently they stink! Which they do not I might add. So since i've had my Rabbits I see less of my sisters but I couldn't care less anyway as they are stuck up snobs!!

Maybe your mother will have a think about it and possibly reconsider. I hope so anyway. Lots of hugs :love:
xxx

I said how would she like it if she was on her own in a house with no human contact for your whole life and she just replied that she wasn't a rabbit. I told her she didn't understand.
Says it all really :( Humans and rabbits are naturally sociable (with some exceptions across the board, obviously!). Good luck finding Flo a friend she loves, and with getting her to yours :)

It's awful when people do not understand, lots just think its perfectly fine for a rabbit to live alone all its life. I don't think it is personally.

I really hate the phrase ''its only a rabbit'' or similar...

Yes he/she is a rabbit, but why deny him/her all of the freedoms that other pets usually enjoy?

My mum is really good with my rabbits, she thought I was mental at first and thought as many others do that you keep them in a hutch all their lives, she knows now that that's just not acceptable. She's even been talking about taking on two herself and letting them live in the huge shed we have extended from the house! x

I'm sorry to hear and that is frustrating situation

Sometimes people including load of folks here, its a very traditional place, view the same and I've found that challenging head on is less productive, I get further when I essentially pit somethin like that in a different way, roundabout way and then over time becomes more open to discussion.

Back