• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are all the rabbit rescues closing around here.... frustrated

FredW

Alpha Buck
Feeling a bit frustrated to be honest... The last rabbit rescue we had in the "local" area, about 17 miles from here, has just closed it's doors. Meaning the next one is now approx. 35 miles away from here (if you can ever get hold of them, they hardly ever get back to you.... in fact... I don't think they ever did). Fine if you're getting an already bonded pair/trio etc, but not great when you're trying to bond your excising bun or buns. I wanted to get a third one for my two towards the winter time, but cant see that happening, since we don't have a car, fair enough it was personal choice we don't, but still sucks now. I can see why places like Pets at Home are selling buns and keep doing well, with more and more rescues going. really sad, there goes my trio plan.
I cant blame the rescues for not wanting to keep doing the work, it's stressful, no doubt, but still sucks when you want to get a rescue bun, but all you have available locally is PaH.... really truly sucks.
sorry just had to vent.

There are so many smaller rescues that just end up running into loads of debt. It is a tough game. :(

yep so true, shame that ultimately it always comes down to money, not blaming the rescues of course, they do awesome jobs. just hard for them getting donations, funds etc, but vets need paying, food needs being bought and so on. and yeah I heard about Honeybunnies before, just always worry about the long traveling time for the buns always.

yep so true, shame that ultimately it always comes down to money, not blaming the rescues of course, they do awesome jobs. just hard for them getting donations, funds etc, but vets need paying, food needs being bought and so on. and yeah I heard about Honeybunnies before, just always worry about the long traveling time for the buns always.

Yes, I understand that.

I know that we can't really tell how long journeys are for them. However Tessie and Daisy came to me here in Wales from Yorkshire (car, bus then another bus) which took hours. They seemed to be fine (plenty of hay, grass and cover).

My belgian hares came all the way from Wiltshire to me; walk, train, train, car and were really chilled. Just hopped into their new run and stated exploring and munching away.

Mottle and Peaches came by car from Bristol and were also fine. Both used their litter trays as soon as we got home and it was as if they had been there all their lives.

It did cost a fair bit in petrol/train fares to get them to me but I would say that they all seemed perfectly fine with travelling.

I do so wish that pet shops would liase (not right spelling) with rescues and make rescuing the norm.

I know that we can't really tell how long journeys are for them. However Tessie and Daisy came to me here in Wales from Yorkshire (car, bus then another bus) which took hours. They seemed to be fine (plenty of hay, grass and cover).

My belgian hares came all the way from Wiltshire to me; walk, train, train, car and were really chilled. Just hopped into their new run and stated exploring and munching away.

Mottle and Peaches came by car from Bristol and were also fine. Both used their litter trays as soon as we got home and it was as if they had been there all their lives.

It did cost a fair bit in petrol/train fares to get them to me but I would say that they all seemed perfectly fine with travelling.

I do so wish that pet shops would liase (not right spelling) with rescues and make rescuing the norm.

That's quite encouraging to know. Mind you when our new boy came to us, they were in the car for an hour or so, but both of them just were like nothing happened. probably helps when it's more than one of them together I guess. but good to know that. no idea what i'll do with regards to making them a trio in the end, but at least I know that when one of them is no more, or both, that there are options and that they seem ok with travel distances then.
and yeah I agree with the shops thing, what is frustrating I know they are selling the rabbits at a loss. each one will cost them more in food, litter, staffing cost and of course buying from the breeder in the first place, so they have rabbits, and sure most other pets as loss leaders, so why not drop that, and encourage people to rescue instead, cause they will still make the money on the food etc. which is, what I assume, they are selling the pets for in the first place anyway.

It's not just lack of money that closes rescues, just offering to volunteer cleaning could make a massive difference to someone running a rescue although fundraising and awareness raising obviously make a huge difference. Smaller rescues often rely purely on volunteers to help so no volunteers mean they'll close

I think they probably close because they've exhausted their finances and ruined their health trying to keep going, and are drowning in a sea of unwanted rabbits which they cannot afford to house, and provide medical care for, to any kind of acceptable standard. Just keeping them clean must be a battle, as J&R says.

I would imagine a large part of the problem is because they lose the will to do it because people still want to buy a baby rabbit from a pet shop rather than a rescue rabbit which is seen a damaged goods.
They probay get fed up of the excuses for getting rid of rabbits and state a lot of the rabbits arrive in.
They probably get fed up with people offering homes but not willing to fulfil the housing requirements or even after home checks not staying true to their word.
They probably can't continue to go on due to the lack of support financially and physically.
The emotional toll of having to deal with abused or neglected animal and having to continually turn away rabbits because they have no space must be huge.

Back