• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going to the vets

vicky_26

Warren Scout
So just a general question... Parker is shortly going to have to have another dental and I was wondering what those of you with bonded pairs do.

If they are apart for a day or two, would this affect their bond? Should they be kept together at all costs?

I just wondered what people do.

I can't say for those with the pairs but when I was talking to my vet a bit more generally with rabbits, she was telling me she's some people who go in with all their rabbits she's got a quad and several trio's etc but some just go in with the one - so I think it can be a bit mixed of what you're comfortable with and what room the vets have

So just a general question... Parker is shortly going to have to have another dental and I was wondering what those of you with bonded pairs do.

If they are apart for a day or two, would this affect their bond? Should they be kept together at all costs?

I just wondered what people do.

You should discuss this with your vet. As Shrinkie says, not all vets have room for pairs, and also they like to see the input and output of the bunny they are treating without the companion eating everything and pooing everywhere :shock:

A day or so apart doesn't usually affect the bond, in my opinion, especially if they are male and female. You could take them both along and then if the vet really can't accommodate both, bring the partner home. Then take the partner when going to fetch him back.

Good luck for Parker's dental :wave:

For me it depends on the individual rabbits and what their bond is like. If they are inseparable or if I think taking just one could potentially risk the bond breaking then both go. If they are generally indifferent to being apart then I send one.

Our vets separate them for part of the time anyway to make sure they are eating and pooping ok

I have always taken a bonded pair together, unless there is a specific reason not to do so. My vet will separate temporarily while bunny recovers from the anaesthetic but they do put them back together again pretty soon. The nurses are keeping a close eye on their post-op recovery anyway so can see if a bun is starting to perk up and munch. In general, I think there is s risk to the bond even with a day apart, as they rely so heavily on their sense of smell and that can be disrupted by all the strong vet smells. In many cases it may be fine but by the time you find out whether it is or not, it could be too late to do anything about it! Personally I would always advocate taking the pair together unless there is a specific reason not to, such as a very seriously ill bunny who is likely to need isolation and intensive nursing, or if the healthy companion bunny is particularly anxious and for whom a day at the vets with partner is likely to cause more anxiety than a day home alone without partner.

Always take my bonded pairs together whether they are staying for the day or just for an appointment. With my quad I take two together and leave two at home.

i always take my two together. i believe there has been a study showing that recovery is quicker in rabbits if they have their bonded partner with them. my vet will separate them temporarily if they need to monitor eating/output

Back