• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Head Tilt / Eye Care

Mayhew

New Kit
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice on eye care / dressing. Our girl is very ill at the moment with head tilt and confined to a small padded cage with rolled towels for support, as she's unable to move without rolling over.

Today when administering meds and attending to personal care we noticed that her right eye which is on the tilted side and so rubbing on the rolled towel constantly is very inflamed, with the eye rolled down and eye lid flipped. Looks so sore. We treated with several drops of lubricating jelly, but it is going to be very difficult to do consistently being on the tilted side, as it's not reachable when back in her cage.

As such i was considering whether it might be best to cover with some kind of dressing for a while to stop it from rubbing further and allow it to heal. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of doing this and could offer some tips?

Thanks,

Damien

Hello :wave:

My Mimzy had head tilt 3 years ago. His vet gave him a special set of eyedrops and a salve to place in his eye twice a day to keep it moist and treat infection (the eye on the affected side usually has trouble blinking) and he actually has a condition to this day that makes his eyes too dry so we use artificial tears in them twice daily. Regular checking of the eye is a must to be certain no foreign bodies are lodged there or scrapes/injury sustained until bun is better able to lift her head and is no longer rolling.

Has your vet recommended meclizine for your bunny? It's a motion sickness drug for people that has to be prescribed for bunnies but might help with your bunny's balance. How long has she been ill?

I would speak with your vet's about these things and see what they recommend. :) Sending healing vibes your way. xx

Thanks Mimz. We got some eye gel yesterday so have started that today. Re the Meclozine, no the vet didn't suggest it, but I did based upon my research. She's on Metaclopromide at the moment, but doesn't seem to be doing much as she has very severe rolling. Vet was happy to try but can't source a supplier and neither could I. I've just ordered some tablets from the States today though funny enough. Shes been ill about 7 days now, but can't move from one spot without rolling violently.

Last edited:
I am glad you got the eye gel from your vet. My Black Velvet had a severe case of head tilt. She stopped circling when we gave her antibiotics but he looked unwell. When I asked, my vet prescribed Meclozine. Some days it seemed to benefit her and other days it did not seem to make any difference.

Back