• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Being very Naughty!

lenslady

Alpha Buck
Bo our little 9 week old is being extremely Naughty with not only chewing the carpet but actually eating it too :shock: Its a long pile rug and he is digging and pulling up the fibres and eating them. I have tried everything, even covering with a thick blanket but he is still getting to it! I am so annoyed at him lol because he is going to make himself very poorly! Why has he got this obsession with eating the carpet? Is there any way I can tell him NO! and let him no it isn't safe to eat :roll:
He was very weak when he came to me but my god he is as strong as an ox now :roll: He is getting bigger, heavier and a lot stronger. I just don't want him eating it as surly it would cause a blockage :cry:

Any advice guys on disciplining a baby Rabbit or trying to teach right from wrong?

xx

I have just tried nudging his bum out the way and he must think i'm playing because every time i do it he does this odd binky so that isn't working :roll:

Doughnut nibbles lining paper and actually tears it, I told her no, she knows what it means but just used to sit there with her nose nearly touching it till I got up then a little jump up and shake of her head and off she went. She knew not to do it but still did so had to put plastic corners everywhere. I'm lucky I have parquet flooring and a rug but she isn't bothered about the rug. All I can think of is to distract him with something else but if he's alone then not sure what to suggest as you can't always watch him!

Doughnut nibbles lining paper and actually tears it, I told her no, she knows what it means but just used to sit there with her nose nearly touching it till I got up then a little jump up and shake of her head and off she went. She knew not to do it but still did so had to put plastic corners everywhere. I'm lucky I have parquet flooring and a rug but she isn't bothered about the rug. All I can think of is to distract him with something else but if he's alone then not sure what to suggest as you can't always watch him!

Thanks for your reply. I did pull it up at one point but my daughter gets cold on the evening and she likes to chill after school on it watching her cartoons so I put it back down. The floor is very cold without it :roll: So that is when I tried the idea of covering it but he constantly gets at it. I have been going up to him and picking him up to move him in the hope that he leaves it but no. I have managed to pull the strands out of his mouth but I can't be sure if he's eaten any of it. I have tried distracting him which does work for a bit but he goes right back. I guess i'l just have to preserver with him until he gets the message. xxx

Rosie is in love with the carpet. I've wee corners here and there that have been balded :roll: but so far everything I've tried, she just doesn't care frankly. It's to the point where she'll go for the carpet and if I say something or shift myself (even caught her before knowing myself cause I've moved!) and she jerks up and stares for a minute, then tries again. After a wee rigmarole of telling her no and her lifting her head she gets the drift and bounds over, sometimes happy, sometimes wagging her tail then going off to sulk for 10 mins :lol:.

But I found that seagrass mats help and some cardboard to destroy - I put them where the biggest issues were (corners) or if needs be, we've blocked access by strategically putting cardboard hides etc so she can't get the floor but there's carboard, hides, old towels and paper etc for her to go nuts on.

Bo our little 9 week old is being extremely Naughty with not only chewing the carpet but actually eating it too :shock: Its a long pile rug and he is digging and pulling up the fibres and eating them. I have tried everything, even covering with a thick blanket but he is still getting to it! I am so annoyed at him lol because he is going to make himself very poorly! Why has he got this obsession with eating the carpet? Is there any way I can tell him NO! and let him no it isn't safe to eat :roll:
He was very weak when he came to me but my god he is as strong as an ox now :roll: He is getting bigger, heavier and a lot stronger. I just don't want him eating it as surly it would cause a blockage :cry:

Any advice guys on disciplining a baby Rabbit or trying to teach right from wrong?

xx

Oh dear :shock: I think disciplining him and teaching him right from wrong may well fall on deaf ears .. sadly.

We bring these 'wild' creatures into our homes and expect them to understand, but they don't. They get 'no' eventually, and I have just about trained one of mine not to jump onto the chairs, desk then windowsill and knock everything off onto the floor. However, when my back is turned for a long time and the chair happens to be near the desk - up he goes again. The temptation is too great.

I was going to suggest covering your carpet in seagrass doormats, but if your daughter is going to sit on it, it won't be comfortable.

Thanks everyone. It might be just a case of him outgrowing the habit i expect well at least I hope anyway. I will probably have to change the rug to a more flatter surface rather than the long pile fabric and fibres so he can't pull it up, maybe something like cord carpet effect. I've only just got his health going good so I really don't need a Baby Bunny with a stomach blockage. I am going to try and get him some of those matts he can chew tomorrow and try that. xxx

Unfortunately it's a pretty common bunny habit! Mine just binky away from me if I ever try to stop them doing something :lol: The more I try to distract and dissuade them, the more determined they get :lol:

Omg, now Burberry has started it :censored: What is it with my carpet! Surly it can't taste nice :roll: Luckily Burberry has left it be and decided the sofa is nicer to lick. I have the strangest Rabbits :love:

Unfortunately it's a pretty common bunny habit! Mine just binky away from me if I ever try to stop them doing something :lol: The more I try to distract and dissuade them, the more determined they get :lol:

Oh Yes!!If bunny is on a mission bunny is on a mission. Reprimanding a deaf bunny is impossible as I've found with Boo. It's just as well they steal our hearts & provide such good entertainment cos they can certainly be pests to live with. :lol: My first bun chewed her way through a carpet, sofa & bed.

Oh Yes!!If bunny is on a mission bunny is on a mission. Reprimanding a deaf bunny is impossible as I've found with Boo. It's just as well they steal our hearts & provide such good entertainment cos they can certainly be pests to live with. :lol: My first bun chewed her way through a carpet, sofa & bed.

I have forgotten to inform everyone but he isn't deaf :love:. Ever since his sneezing ect has stopped it is like his hearing has returned. He heard a police siren today out the window and i've never seen a bunny move so fast. He can definitely hear now. I think the stress of moving him to his new home played havoc with his senses.

I love my 3 so much, i seem to get annoyed because i am more concerned with his health than my carpet. I so wish they could talk at times or at least understand us :love:

I'm glad he can hear, that's good news :) Well he has no excuse for not listening now, no excuse other than that thing bunnies are so good at, selective hearing.

£1400. The price of my most expensive item ever, my carpet (I'm not well off, so that was a vast amount to me). Destroyed by rabbits. My own fault for letting them free range in the house.

Mine do this to be naughty - and they know they're being naughty... (The binkies after having been told off are epic!) I think they do it on purpose - they get attention.

Cardboard boxes, sea grass mats, those water hyacinth balls, wooden toys... There are lots of things you can offer for nibbling instead of rugs.

Back