• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She isn't neautred we now have babies

kerrylouise

Warren Scout
Help please help,

I rescued willow and was told she was neautred, Sam isn't I know he should be and was booked in this week, anyway I got her as fell in love with her and by accident they met, cut the story short we have baby rabbits!

I feel so guilty that I've added to the over breeding of rabbits!
Luckily my other half wants to keep them!

I haven no idea what to do, I was meant to clean the enclosure out today obviously the bit with the babies I know not to touch but the rest?

Luckily the vets coming over to check her and make sure she is okay, it sounds so silly but really I could cry as I feel so bad and stupid

Any help would be welcomed is she meant to have a special diet now? Can I clean the enclosure out?

I think they were born last night as she is absolutely knackered and asleep

One of them isn't covered by hay or hair do I try and cover it

Sorry for the long post just worrying

Help please help,

I rescued willow and was told she was neautred, Sam isn't I know he should be and was booked in this week, anyway I got her as fell in love with her and by accident they met, cut the story short we have baby rabbits!

I feel so guilty that I've added to the over breeding of rabbits!
Luckily my other half wants to keep them!

I haven no idea what to do, I was meant to clean the enclosure out today obviously the bit with the babies I know not to touch but the rest?

Luckily the vets coming over to check her and make sure she is okay, it sounds so silly but really I could cry as I feel so bad and stupid

Any help would be welcomed is she meant to have a special diet now? Can I clean the enclosure out?

I think they were born last night as she is absolutely knackered and asleep

One of them isn't covered by hay or hair do I try and cover it

Sorry for the long post just worrying

Awe bless :D Did the rescue tell you she was spayed? As maybe they should be the ones to fork out the vet bills for a very big mistake.
I don't have any advice for nursing does as I haven't experienced it but somebody will come along shortly. How old is mummy Bun? I think it is fantastic you will keep them :love: If it is severely cold then I assume you would have to nudge it back into the nest as they probably can't walk yet. Maybe you could rub your hands in mums litter tray so she doesn't smell you on the baby and slowly and gently nudge it back into place. xx

You can get the Supreme Science junior pellets for baby rabbits and nursing Does, I think they would make a great addition to her diet at the moment. xx

Willow is around 2 years old, I'm in contact with the rescue now they think they got the rabbits mixed up which obviously isn't great but it's happened they are here and I now have to do a whole heap of research

She keeps falling asleep bless her so assuming she hasn't long given birth

I am.going to get some.gloves and run my hands in hay and try and cover it up just worried as today was meant to be cleaning her enclosure and now I don't know if I can

just push the baby back into the nest, make sure they are covered. let mum do what she has to do and up her feed. it won't matter that you have not managed to clean them out. best leave well alone for now and when mum is out feeding ( tomorrow) have a quick look to make sure they are ok. I have never had a mum harm her babies, but I had a good bond with my bunnies, this was about 20 years ago, I have only just started keeping bunnies again.
when they get bigger you will have to put some photo's on. good luck.

When rabbits have just had babies they love to eat grass and dandelion leaves etc. As long as she is used to eating this kind of food. She will look after the babies herself.

The hutch is doubly secured I've gone round with padlocks before this happened I've also added extra safety bits to it to make sure the fox and any other predators stay away! I am moving her into the big huge shed tomorrow so she is extra safe as don't want anything happening to her or the babies

The baby is back in the nest although there are 2 nests?

I had a quick look earlier to make sure all were okay and there are 2 extremely vocal ones and 3 quiet ones

What age are they able to be handled as want to give them all a visual check properly once able to

I would leave everything up to Mum, I don't know what may have happened to one of them, sometimes Mum will eat them. Are you going to move the hutch into the shed and not just the rabbits as you need to leave the nest alone as much as is possible. She will be safer in the shed at night :thumb: Hope everything goes smoothly for Mum and babies. I personally have never handled any babies of mine, but some people do.

Oh the whole hutch will be moved in then the gigantic run attached safely to the shed with plenty of hide places for mumma I'm just checking them once a day just to make sure there all feeding she's seperated the nest but she's extremely happy and sits just outside the nest to protect them and then she comes and sits on my lap for cuddles :) something she's never done before

I've just checked on them and can't find one of them is that normal? It was the one that she left out of the nest

Oh dear, has it crawled under any bedding or gone into the corners of the hutch :cry:. Maybe it was sick and mummy Bun knew it. Animals tend to know these things and will reject them. xx

I say it's a playhouse lol can't get used to saying that, I put it back in the nest yesterday and it's not there and I don't want to start moving everything to find it as don't want to upset willow :( I think it was poorly as it's the only one that wasn't on the best yesterday and she kept trying to nudge or yesterday

I say it's a playhouse lol can't get used to saying that, I put it back in the nest yesterday and it's not there and I don't want to start moving everything to find it as don't want to upset willow :( I think it was poorly as it's the only one that wasn't on the best yesterday and she kept trying to nudge or yesterday

Awe well hopefully it may be under the other ones you will just have to wait and see. To be hones I don't think i would attempt moving them until the babies can walk and have their eyes open, I would probably leave her where she is for a week or two. xxx

I would look for the missing baby as it could possibly still be alive and may have just become separated. They are very wiggly and if not in a contained nesting box, can easily wander away from the nest. It will get cold easily without the other babies to snuggle up to. Check corners and the very back of their enclosure. Even check the ground and all around their area.

If it has passed away, you don't want the body left in there as it will be an attractant to bugs/animals, and would be unhealthy if the live kits are near it.

I think there in the UK, there seems to be a hands off approach when it comes to newborn kits. Here in the US it's different as there seems to be a more hands on approach. I have cared for a few litters of newborns and have checked on and handled them from birth without issue. I would check them daily for health checks and to ensure mom is feeding them. This also helps them become accustomed to being handled and helps with socialization as they get older. Also the nest itself sometimes requires cleaning and changing out if it becomes soiled. Unless the mom is extra nervous with people, usually handling the kits doesn't upset the mom at all.

Mother rabbits can't move babies, they aren't like cats, for example, that pick them up. The babies latch on to drink and then mum leaves the nest and they get dragged out and mum has no way to get them back in. In the wild, they'd get knocked off because the burrow is narrow.

For pets, you can achieve the same thing with a nest box that has a barrier mum hops over that knocks any latched on babies off. If the nest is lose in the playhouse I'd pop something around the nest to do the same thing - a couple of bits of wood, a shallow cardboard box over the top with the bottom cut out or a row of bricks - anything like that.

If you find a baby outside the nest then pop your hands in some bedding to make them smell rabbity and pick it up and pop it back in.

I have all 5 babies ") they are super cute and already have beautiful markings ") mummy is dojng a wonderful job with them, she lets me check on them providing she gets a fuss and huge cuddle whixh isnt like her, need to clean the nest but not sure when is best to attempt this

Back