• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My best friend is on the rescue plea -again!

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
2 years ago to the day, a beautiful ginger and white tom cat entered my life.

This is Ajali:

24wzqli.jpg

He was found by a friend of my best friend, wandering around the Halls of Residence at the university she was studying at. He's a goofy love, who has strange idiosyncracies, which I guess can only be part of his life prior to being with us. Originally, she wanted to keep him but one of her housemates said no - he was too shy. So, he came to us. Happy 2nd Gotcha day, boy.

This says Rabbit Chat though, right?

Well, my wonderful friend is now at it - again!

This time, one of her study groups on facebook is trying to give away rabbits "free to a good home, not to be kept in cages or as python feed" - so of course, she first thought of us. We already have 4. Mum wants Athena to be bonded with the outdoor lot as she's hyper and a bit destructive - especially now she is allowed to roam free again post-surgery.

But, of course, I also fear for what could happen to these bunnies. The person trying to give them away may have said "good home" and not be permanently caged or used as snake feed, but people lie. And also, what is the catch with giving them away? How old? Are they backyard breeders trying to get rid of old stock to make way for the younger "cuter" ones?

My friend is asking questions, but I already feel bad for these rabbits, whatever the situation. No rabbit should be passed along for free. :(

Are you thinking of taking them on tlc?

I don't know. It really depends on the situation and how many there are. If it's a solo buck, who was a family pet but they can't keep for whatever committments, yes - I could pair him up with Athena. If it's just excess breeding stock, absolutely not because I don't want to be part of the problem. It's difficult to know what to do with such little information. :(

Hope something can be resolved soon, a lot o the time people do think their being kind/gesturish by saying free to good home, without really considering the risks and issues that come with it. I really hope it's niavity and not farming etc

I've had the rest of the information and there isn't any way we can take them on:

They are 5 weeks old and wild crosses. We don't have the space for wild crosses; we were going to adopt one but were recommended against it because of this. We've recommended they surrender them to the charity we adopted Archimedes from (though goodness knows they don't need MORE wild crosses there!) because they have experience with them. Also told my friend to suggest they get mum spayed, of course. From the little I know, it sounds like mum escaped/a wild buck got in with her and there was an accidental litter. :(

Back