• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phantom(?) Paw injury

Truffton

New Kit
Hi,

My bun, Daisy, has been holding her front paw up and avoiding putting weight on it. She puts weight onto it to hop but will pull it up when sat and only put it down at the last min.
She's let me examine it and I can't see or feel anything wrong. She's even let me put gentle pressure all along the leg and foot without any problems.
I know dogs use phantom injuries for attention, has anyone heard of rabbits doing this?! We're bonding at the moment so I don't really want to take her out for a vet visit :s (OBVIOUSLY I will if this continues though!)

Thanks
Hayley

It is highly unlikely that it is an 'attention seeking' ploy. There are other possible reasons apart from injury that may cause a Rabbit to display the behaviour you describe but only an examination by a Vet would be able to determine what is actually going on. Personally I would want to obtain help from a Vet sooner rather than later. Is your Rabbit eating and pooing OK and 'well' in every other way ?

Yep, totally fine in every other way.
She's usually pretty clear when she doesn't want me to touch her and I examined her leg without holding her so I'd normally expect her to run off if she didn't like it.

Yep, totally fine in every other way.
She's usually pretty clear when she doesn't want me to touch her and I examined her leg without holding her so I'd normally expect her to run off if she didn't like it.

How long has the problem been going on ?

My OH says it's been happening on and off for a little while but I've only noticed it since last night.
Her and the new bun had a little scuffle just before I noticed so I thought it was that.
She's still just as active, she's even venturing off get carpeted area onto our laminate which she knows she slips on so it's really not stopping her from doing anything.

My OH says it's been happening on and off for a little while but I've only noticed it since last night.
Her and the new bun had a little scuffle just before I noticed so I thought it was that.
She's still just as active, she's even venturing off get carpeted area onto our laminate which she knows she slips on so it's really not stopping her from doing anything.

Well if she were mine I'd ask my Vet to check her over even if it were only to put my mind at rest :)

I agree with a Vet examination but I had a rabbit which held one paw up. It was after she had lost her partner. Anyway the Vet concluded it was definitely a fracture so she had an x-ray which showed nothing. As time went by I was able to bond her with another rabbit and she stopped holding the paw up! :)

Well if she were mine I'd ask my Vet to check her over even if it were only to put my mind at rest :)

Yep, I think we'll be heading to a vet tomorrow, I want to take our newbie in anyway as he has a metal ring on his hind leg I want removed. A general check would be good for both too anyway.

Just wanted to check phantom injuries weren't a 'thing' with rabbits.

Last edited:
I agree with a Vet examination but I had a rabbit which held one paw up. It was after she had lost her partner. Anyway the Vet concluded it was definitely a fracture so she had an x-ray which showed nothing. As time went by I was able to bond her with another rabbit and she stopped holding the paw up! :)

That's really interesting as we lost her companion a few months ago and lost another bun two weeks ago during a bond.
We've got a pretty successful bonding going on now so maybe that will help.

Yep, I think we'll be heading to a vet tomorrow, I want to take our newbie in anyway as he has a metal ring on his hind leg I want removed. A general check would be good for both too anyway.

Just wanted to check phantom injuries weren't a 'thing' with rabbits.

Coming late to this thread, but I wouldn't think for a minute that a rabbit would hold a paw up in an attention seeking way! I did have a bun who did this for a while, and it was because OH trapped his leg in the door. OH didn't realise bunny was behind him when he pulled the door to. It didn't affect him in any other way and the behaviour stopped after a few days.

If it's continued longer than this/a reasonable healing time for a sprain, then let the vet have a look at it!

Good luck at the vets xx

No advice to add but ... awwwwwwwwwwwww ... what a pretty rabbit. Get well vibes coming her way.

Back