• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you let your rabbits out into the garden?

orangediva

Mama Doe
Just wondering really - and I know it can be a contentious subject - because I have spent a while getting my garden fencing sorted so that there are no easy means of escape with a view to letting mine out of their runs ....and now I've done it I'm too scared to actually let them! I used to have free ranging garden buns when I was younger - I was always out with them and they had hutches and runs when I wasn't there.

I would be with them all the time, I'm a keen gardener but not fussy if they nibble stuff here and there while I'm working. Good idea or not? And how do you persuade them back into their runs when you need to go in?

I let as many of mine out as possible. They love to explore under the sheds etc and get up a speed! Don't feed them before you let them out so then it's easier to get them in! I am lucky that there are no foxes around during the day as I am in the town centre, so that is something to consider, also I have trellis all around my fence which is a good deterrent. I think your bunnies will love it.

I let Bellatrix out in the garden but I have to watch her constantly and stop her from eating everything and so it's definitely not very relaxing for me although Bellatrix has the time of her life binkying constantly! Can rabbits eat hedge? I haven't found a simple answer online so I am stopping her at the moment but would love to know if you guys have an answer??

Just wondering really - and I know it can be a contentious subject - because I have spent a while getting my garden fencing sorted so that there are no easy means of escape with a view to letting mine out of their runs ....and now I've done it I'm too scared to actually let them! I used to have free ranging garden buns when I was younger - I was always out with them and they had hutches and runs when I wasn't there.

I would be with them all the time, I'm a keen gardener but not fussy if they nibble stuff here and there while I'm working. Good idea or not? And how do you persuade them back into their runs when you need to go in?

Yes mine go in the garden and they love it :thumb:

I have table, chairs, brolly ... etc in the garden and I sit/eat/work out there with them .... :D

Do it :) mine love coming out to play :)

TBH it was seeing Twigs's buns enjoying their freedom that really made me want to do it. My son and I are letting Dennis and Betty out in a few minutes, wish us luck. Full supervision and panic on mode but I'm sure I'll adjust!

TBH it was seeing Twigs's buns enjoying their freedom that really made me want to do it. My son and I are letting Dennis and Betty out in a few minutes, wish us luck. Full supervision and panic on mode but I'm sure I'll adjust!

Good luck :thumb:

I let mine out. They are giants and I just don't feel their shed and run is enough for them to have a run - not that they ever run - they find a quiet corner and sleep but I love that they have the choice. Mine go in easily with the shake of their pellets jug.

I let mine out at least twice a day. They have the full run of our garden. We've been rabbitproofed for years. We have a walled garden with pots up a bit higher. Widget and Ginny love climbing up amongst the pots in the sunshine and sheltering in the shade of the plants. Heather and Rosie are new here so I have a small gate that keeps them at the bottom of the garden until I get used to their personalities and they are less timid, when I'm more sure of them I'll open the gate.

I let Bellatrix out in the garden but I have to watch her constantly and stop her from eating everything and so it's definitely not very relaxing for me although Bellatrix has the time of her life binkying constantly! Can rabbits eat hedge? I haven't found a simple answer online so I am stopping her at the moment but would love to know if you guys have an answer??

Hi :wave: if it's Privet then I think the answer is NO they shouldn't eat it :) keep stopping her if possible :roll:

Mine love going out(supervised) free ranging in the garden, they have loads of fun & seem to have different areas of the garden for different times of the day. The back door remains open & sometimes they'll pop in for a while but mostly they are a huge pain to get in (letting them out hungry doesn't work as it is one massive buffet out there). Good luck, I bet they'll love it

Mine love going out(supervised) free ranging in the garden, they have loads of fun & seem to have different areas of the garden for different times of the day. The back door remains open & sometimes they'll pop in for a while but mostly they are a huge pain to get in (letting them out hungry doesn't work as it is one massive buffet out there). Good luck, I bet they'll love it

I can well imagine!

Wish mine could go out. We have a totally non rabbit proof garden and two dogs so ... runs it is. I really wish my belgian hares could have more space.

They loved it! We gave them half an hour each pair and they kept going back into their run/the kitchen so getting them in was reasonably easy. I took lots of pictures to post when I've sorted them. Thanks for the encouragement - my next thing is to actually do some gardening while they are out instead of following them round totally! :oops:

Glad they loved it. Rabbits tend to set up little 'runs' so they have a quick way back to safety, for example, their home. They go backwards and forwards several times. Each time they go a bit further away. You'll get used to where their favourite hideaway is and know where to look when they go missing. If you dig the garden, they'll be right there with you helping you out!!

They loved it! We gave them half an hour each pair and they kept going back into their run/the kitchen so getting them in was reasonably easy. I took lots of pictures to post when I've sorted them. Thanks for the encouragement - my next thing is to actually do some gardening while they are out instead of following them round totally! :oops:

Yes, you'll get to know your rabbits and how they behave in the garden. Glad they had a good time :D

Glad they loved it. Rabbits tend to set up little 'runs' so they have a quick way back to safety, for example, their home. They go backwards and forwards several times. Each time they go a bit further away. You'll get used to where their favourite hideaway is and know where to look when they go missing. If you dig the garden, they'll be right there with you helping you out!!

Oh yeah! It's Fab when they are out.. :love: and yes, I've let mine find their own way around and I don't fuss too much in their ' run zones / escape to safety' areas.
The biggest job is Bunny proofing it all and making sure there is nothing that could poison them..

I also held my breath and prayed when they first did come out, I felt like a guarding meerkat mum.. barking at the seagulls and cats,etc.
We have our routine and the buns are so happy.. we have a routine where ..if I bark like a meerkat mum, they either run to me or home.

Big fun.. always on guard though.. the buns look to me for signals and I look to them.. it's a bit like being a true family member of the warren :thumb: X

I wish I could The Garden is not rabbit proof at all.

I also don't know them that well and they don't trust me at all.

Thanks for all of the replies, I guess we are lucky to have a garden we've been able to secure but I'll always be on my guard. It was lovely seeing them binkying and hopping about free :love:

Back