• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about Post Spay - not eating

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
Hi, I tried doing a search but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Yesterday around noon my rabbit was spayed. She is 2 years old. She looks a lot better today but I haven't seen her eating. At the Vets they said she did eat some carrot. I've offered a wide variety of veggies but she isn't interested. When do I need to be concerned. Is it normal for her to not want to eat much for the first while? Its been not quite 24 hours since her spay.

Hi, I tried doing a search but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. Yesterday around noon my rabbit was spayed. She is 2 years old. She looks a lot better today but I haven't seen her eating. At the Vets they said she did eat some carrot. I've offered a wide variety of veggies but she isn't interested. When do I need to be concerned. Is it normal for her to not want to eat much for the first while? Its been not quite 24 hours since her spay.

Hello, it is very important that she should be eating by now and also passing poo. Has she had any 'output' since her op' ?

Were you given pain relief to administer to her for the next few days ? This too is essential. A spay is major abdominal surgery and it will cause pain. A Rabbit in pain will not eat and this can then lead to gut stasis.

I would contact your Vet ASAP as the Vet may want to re-examine her and possibly administer gut motility medication and some additional analgesia. She will also require regular syringe feeds.

I hope she feels better soon xx

Thank you for your replies. Yes she is getting Metacam twice a day but I'm thinking she needs something a bit stronger. I'm going call to the Vets when they open in half hour. I feel so bad for her. She doesn't want to move at all. I'm sure it is due to pain, poor little girl. she is only a 2 lb bunny. She is a dwarf.

Hi Lynn, aww your poor little girl! Really hope the vets can help her and she feels better soon. Not sure if it helps, but My vets also gave me tramadol for my bun which really helped as we felt the metacam wasn't enough for her xx

Thank you for your replies. Yes she is getting Metacam twice a day but I'm thinking she needs something a bit stronger. I'm going call to the Vets when they open in half hour. I feel so bad for her. She doesn't want to move at all. I'm sure it is due to pain, poor little girl. she is only a 2 lb bunny. She is a dwarf.

She may need some fluids, or perhaps your vet used a Metacam dosage on the lower end of the safe level. Metacam is for both pain and inflammation. Jane is right about her needing to be seen by your vet and your bunny needing to be syringe fed if she will not take food by herself.
She may be having some side effects from the anestesia.
Please send us an update after your vet visit.

Hi there :wave:

Only just seen your post! How is your bunny now? What did the vet say?

I do hope she's eating and pooing ......

Hi, she is eating now and more alert. The Vet said to double her metadam dosage and if that didn't work I was to bring her back for an injection. But she has now eaten hay and veggies.

Hi, she is eating now and more alert. The Vet said to double her metadam dosage and if that didn't work I was to bring her back for an injection. But she has now eaten hay and veggies.

I am pleased to hear that she has started to eat now her pain is better controlled. Hopefully there has now been some poo and wee output to by now xx

Ah very good! Thank you for this update :thumb:

Last edited:
Back