• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've got baby lizards :)

William

Wise Old Thumper
We've got probably thousands of brown and green anoles in our yard, they're literally everywhere, you can't walk without dozens leaping out of your path. So every spring/summer there's babies galore and I find lots of eggs when I'm weeding, gardening etc.

So a little bit back I was moving a little pile of weed and branch clippings and some fire ants decided to make their home there so while kicking away the rest of the clippings I found buried under a bit of dirt 2 brown anole eggs and 1 egg that had already hatched. Usually I just bury them somewhere else but I wanted to see them hatch this time so I put the 2 of them in a bucket and covered them with soil.

One hatched yesterday and the other was in the process of hatching (I checked this morning and it's not hatched yet). I decided to release him instead of raising him, since before I get any lizards I want to have insect cultures so I don't have to keep going to the pet store to buy them. But when I have a cricket culture going I'll probably catch and/or hatch out a bunch of baby anoles, watch them grow up and then release them, that way they'll get a head start in life. That'll be so much fun! :D

He was so teeny and cute, these pictures don't even show what an adorable face he had. Babies are the cutest <3

IMG_1224 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_1213 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

The egg that's hatching. You can see the little pip that its made.

IMG_1211 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

You can see the egg he hatched from in this picture.

IMG_1214 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

He just sat on my hand for awhile and then I went to release him by navigating him onto one of these big leaves on this plant but he slid right off my hand when I moved too quickly and fell on some leaves on the ground. Oops. I'm used to lizards having a good grip on my hand! But of course he was only newly hatched. I'm sure he was fine though, it wasn’t a long drop.

IMG_1242 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_1241 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_1238 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_1236 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

IMG_1235 by dylanduck14, on Flickr

Oh gosh how sweet,nice to see you are helping out the babies.I love spiders and protect their little nest sacs when I see them.Fascinating to see the spiderlings hatch out etc.I'm in Scotland so too cold for lizards I'm afraid.

The other egg hasn't hatched yet (at least as of yesterday, it's early here so I haven't checked today). not sure how long it's supposed to take after it makes a hole. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it though, the egg is so tiny - much smaller than other eggs I find - that I expected it to be infertile.

I love baby crocs too! I want to get a baby caiman (possibly a male and female and breed them when they're old enough) but I think I'll have to have my own place first, don't think my parents would be too happy with having a big caiman enclosure in the backyard :lol: (although I'm sure they'd be fascinated and want to visit it!)

I'm not a big lizard person but I can't deny he's a cutie!! :love:

Yeah, my sister doesn't like lizards (unless they're glass lizards) but I think even she would admit that he's cute! Babies are undeniably cute <3

Oh gosh how sweet,nice to see you are helping out the babies.I love spiders and protect their little nest sacs when I see them.Fascinating to see the spiderlings hatch out etc.I'm in Scotland so too cold for lizards I'm afraid.

Oh yeah I help spiderlings, and tadpoles, and anything else I can. It's really cool watching animals hatch and grow up, and I love interacting with animals so it's a privilege to help whenever I can:)

Back