• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding before a move

HarrytheHop

Young Bun
I very sadly lost my boy, Hoppy a couple of weeks ago, leaving my girl bun Petal alone. She's never been on her own before and, as she doesn't like us much, I'm worried she's lonely. I can't stand seeing her on her own.
I've arranged some speed dates for her on Sunday and hope to find a good match. I've got everything in place to carry out the bonding and I hope it will be easy, like it was with Hoppy and Petal.
The potential fly in the ointment is we are moving house in a couple of weeks time. I ideally want to get her paired up before we move as I've got a lot more time to dedicate to the bonding process than I will do immediately after the move and then in the school holidays.
Basically, my question is: is it a terrible idea to try to do the bond now and then move a freshly bonded pair?

I very sadly lost my boy, Hoppy a couple of weeks ago, leaving my girl bun Petal alone. She's never been on her own before and, as she doesn't like us much, I'm worried she's lonely. I can't stand seeing her on her own.
I've arranged some speed dates for her on Sunday and hope to find a good match. I've got everything in place to carry out the bonding and I hope it will be easy, like it was with Hoppy and Petal.
The potential fly in the ointment is we are moving house in a couple of weeks time. I ideally want to get her paired up before we move as I've got a lot more time to dedicate to the bonding process than I will do immediately after the move and then in the school holidays.
Basically, my question is: is it a terrible idea to try to do the bond now and then move a freshly bonded pair?

No I don't think so at all :D

I would say that they will be of comfort to one another among the stress of moving. *If* you can get it done before you go. The territory will be completely new to both of them, so in some ways it's an advantage!

I'm really pleased you said that. I've been thinking too about not wanting Petal to have the stress of the move on her own.
Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. She was rescued from a house with 52 rabbits, all of which were mixed in together, so I hope the easy acceptance of Hoppy will be repeated with her new boyfriend.

I wouldn't say it's a 'terrible' idea, but it is not something I would do for two reasons. One, I would want to get to know the new Rabbit myself before attempting to bond him with Petal. I'd want to observe him for a few days to try to determine what is 'normal' for him with regards to day to day behaviour, eating habits etc. If I did not get the chance to do that I would feel that I may miss the early signs of a problem should one develop. Secondly I personally think that it is too much stress for a Rabbit to go from Rescue to bonding (bonding is always stressful for a Rabbit) to a new home then to yet another new home all in the space of just 2 weeks. So that said personally I would prefer to wait until after the move.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

I think maybe Petal will accept another rabbit easier when she is in her new home. It depends on how territorial she is. Having said that I would say go with your gut instinct, and good luck with the move and the bonding.

I think I'm going to take her along to the rescue on Sunday, see how she gets on and trust my gut instinct then. I've got everything in place to start the bonding so I can just see how it goes on the day and decide for certain then.

I'm really pleased you said that. I've been thinking too about not wanting Petal to have the stress of the move on her own.
Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly. She was rescued from a house with 52 rabbits, all of which were mixed in together, so I hope the easy acceptance of Hoppy will be repeated with her new boyfriend.

So long as Petal, and the new boy, are in good health, it should be absolutely fine :D

I think you're being very considerate of her to want her not to undergo a move on her own. I believe it may even help the bonding process. The Rescue will tell you all about the male rabbit, so you can assess how to play things, using (of course!) your instinct :thumb:

Thanks MightyMax. I really hope it goes well. Poor Petal deserves a nice companion and it'll put my mind at rest too. Even with the thunder earlier, I hated her being by herself.

Back