• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting ready to Bond

AmberNikSee

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone! I'm planning on getting my bun a friend (though I'm still hesitant) and initially we were going to drive 100mi to the nearest rescue-they offer a dating service and would talk me thru bonding over the phone and would take the bun back if it didn't work out. However in speaking with her there is a sanctuary about 20 minutes away that sometimes gets buns and may be able to help me out.
My concern is it isn't a rabbit rescue and I don't know that they do a dating, is there a chance it would work out if I bring home a bun and he doesn't get to pick?
Any advice about bonding in general would be greatly appreciated!

If your bunny is a male then it should be easier to introduce a female to him in your home especially if you have a neutral space where he hasn't been than if it were a female. It would be best if you could get a spayed female of about the same age if possible. It is a good idea to let her settle in for a while, this gives you both chance to get to know one another, before you put them together. Just take one step at a time and don't rush anything.

I'm a big believer in letting the bunnies meet on neutral turf. If they are really aggressive from the outset I'd try a different bunny. i believe some matches just aren't made to be, some are made in heaven, the other can be really good but just require some time & work. That's just my experience though. I've always managed to bond but my 2 stranger bunnies who didn't meet 1st were the hardest. If I were in your shoes I'd ask the more local rescue if they could set up a pen to see how they initially react. Its by no means a foolproof strategy but I think its a good barometer. Good luck. Let us know how it goes

I would pm a bonding expert such as the Dutchess on here or Tinsel. They have both had LOADS of experience.

Thank you all for your advice! While I was in hanging out and talking about finding a friend with Bofur I noticed his hocks look inflamed so that'll need to be tended to first! Seems like if it's not one thing it's another every time we talk about bonding him!

Back