• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Occassional accidents for 8 year old rabbits?

Stator

Warren Veteran
Is it normal for an 8 year old rabbit to occassionally wee where they are sat? They end up with some wee in their fur but don't notice it straight away. After wiping them with a bit of water they always have a good clean. I suspect it may happen whilst they are 'sleeping' or periods of total rest.
It's certainly not arthritis, they are very lively and spritely and have no problem jumping here there and everywhere. When they are observed they always seem to go to the litter tray and lift their bum up like normal. Not overweight either. Was neutered between 12 months - 18 months old.

Vets have done a full check up and there is nothing obviously wrong, so I'm wondering, is it just something you expect from an 8 year old rabbit, or does it need further investigation?
Vet has suggested may be x-rays or blood tests etc but I want to see what other people think of rabbits this age and don't want to cause stress over something that is just part of getting old?

Is it normal for an 8 year old rabbit to occassionally wee where they are sat? They end up with some wee in their fur but don't notice it straight away. After wiping them with a bit of water they always have a good clean. I suspect it may happen whilst they are 'sleeping' or periods of total rest.
It's certainly not arthritis, they are very lively and spritely and have no problem jumping here there and everywhere. When they are observed they always seem to go to the litter tray and lift their bum up like normal. Not overweight either. Was neutered between 12 months - 18 months old.

Vets have done a full check up and there is nothing obviously wrong, so I'm wondering, is it just something you expect from an 8 year old rabbit, or does it need further investigation?
Vet has suggested may be x-rays or blood tests etc but I want to see what other people think of rabbits this age and don't want to cause stress over something that is just part of getting old?

Did the vet take a urine sample to check for any signs of infection? Have you had any changes in the household, or has any other bunny been introduced? Is it just one rabbit and have you identified which it is?

I wouldn't say that what you are describing is a 'normal' finding in any Rabbit, regardless of their age. I assume that the Vet has tested the urine for infection ?

What gender are the Rabbits ?

Bladder sludge can present as occasional episodes of urinary incontinence, but it seems strange that they are both displaying the same symptoms.

Are they drinking more than they used to and/or have they had any unexplained weight loss ?

You do need to be very vigilant re Flystrike as they will be at higher risk if their fur becomes urine soiled. I'd advise using fly netting over hutches and runs and also doing undercarriage checks of the Rabbits several times a day.

I would take them both back to the Vets if the problem remains on going.

Thanks for the replies.
I think the problem affects two sisters, but not entirely sure, definitely one but maybe the other or it's possible their brother too.
Sometimes I can't spot who did the wee and it doesn't happen very often.
We haven't done a urine test yet.
There are no other signs of problems or infections, no weightloss apart from the normal from increased summer activity.

I also wonder if it's possible being suddenly startled causes a wee to escape. They are prone to being scared by neighbours/dogs/builders etc

Thanks for the replies.
I think the problem affects two sisters, but not entirely sure, definitely one but maybe the other or it's possible their brother too.
There are no other signs of problems or infections, no weightloss apart from the normal from increased summer activity.

I also wonder if it's possible being suddenly startled causes a wee to escape. They are prone to being scared by neighbours/dogs/builders etc

I would first try to establish exactly which Rabbit(s) is/are effected. Then I'd ask the Vet about having a urinalysis done in the first instance.

Thanks for the replies.

I had this problem with a bonded pair of my own rabbits. In the end, I separated them (by a panel) overnight. It was then clear as day who was doing the little wees.

I think if you can establish which rabbit it is, and get a urine test, that's a good starting point

Back