• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fly strike - how did this happen? Worried about other bunnies

marchi1990

Mama Doe
Morning everybody,

This morning I woke up to find one of my bunnies, Cookie, slumped over and clearly very poorly. She was rushed to the vets and we were told she had fly strike. The vet investigated and said that it was too advanced for it to be treatable and so the decision was made for her to be put to sleep. I am heartbroken.

I am angry because I do not know how this could have happened. They are cleaned very regularly, brushed etc. They are also checked. She was the cleanest of all of my rabbits and so it was so unexpected.

I have four other rabbits who live separately but in close proximity. I am now very worried about them. How likely is it that something could happen to them?

This morning I have bought some fly-catchers and I will go home tonight and will thoroughly clean everything with our jet-washer.

Is there anything else I can do? I have booked the four bunnies in to the vets (two tonight and two Saturday) to be checked and to have Rearguard applied.

Thank you.

I am so sorry you lost Cookie. I lost a seven year old bunny last year. I was totally devastated, as you are. The shock is huge. My bun had been sleeping a lot in the garden in the sunshine under the plants.. I picked him up as he "didn't seem right" and some maggots dropped off him. I rang the vets and when we arrived they were waiting for us and the theatre was ready. He also was too far gone to save. My guilt is still with me a year later and I can't mention his name. The flies like damp, smelly fur and will lay their eggs in it or in any sore place on bun 's skin. The main culprits are greenbottle maggots which grow jaws faster than bluebottle maggots. The eggs can hatch in about 6 hours and the maggots grow really fast. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. The Rearguard is a good idea but is only temporary. Last year we found that all the other buns were fine. The flies are prevalent at this time of year, particularly when it's humid and thundery.

I am so very sorry that you lost your bunny to flystrike :(

In the summer months, I used to check Louie over at least twice per day, combing through his fur around his bottom and back with a nit comb. I also applied rearguard as he had a very dicky stomach some of the time and would have poop stuck to him on several occasions.

You are taking all the right precautions xx

Oh my goodness I am so so sorry. What a horrible Shock I am so sorry you lost your little friend :( (((hugs)))

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I'm so very sorry you lost your bunny. That's awful ... :cry:

Here are a few threads which contain some useful advice, when you've time to read them through ..... As one of the links says, be extra careful if your rabbit has any wounds, or weeping eyes etc ....

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...e-of-flystrike&highlight=flystrike+prevention

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?422612-Flystrike&highlight=flystrike+prevention

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ike-prevention&highlight=flystrike+prevention

I hope something here helps to put your mind at rest and help you care for your other rabbits xx Good luck xx

So sorry. Flystrike is awful - you never forget it. PTS is often the kindest thing - and I don't say that lightly.

Rearguard is quite expensive, difficult to use (it took 2 of us over an hour on a very handleable rabbit), and is only to be applied to intact skin around the lower back. It can have side effects for a day or two eg depressed, lack of appetite. It also becomes inactivated if the rabbit gets wet.

If there is skin damage (eg wounds) or the area you need to protect is not around the bum, F10 wound spray with insecticide (scroll down on the link) is another option. It is in a spray bottle which lasts for ages and can be used on multiple animals (but keep well away from cats). It was recommended by my vet nurse for an outside dental bunny with an open wound following surgery.

http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-treatment-products.html

So sorry. Flystrike is awful - you never forget it. PTS is often the kindest thing - and I don't say that lightly.

Rearguard is quite expensive, difficult to use (it took 2 of us over an hour on a very handleable rabbit), and is only to be applied to intact skin around the lower back. It can have side effects for a day or two eg depressed, lack of appetite. It also becomes inactivated if the rabbit gets wet.

If there is skin damage (eg wounds) or the area you need to protect is not around the bum, F10 wound spray with insecticide (scroll down on the link) is another option. It is in a spray bottle which lasts for ages and can be used on multiple animals (but keep well away from cats). It was recommended by my vet nurse for an outside dental bunny with an open wound following surgery.

http://www.meadowsah.com/home/f10-treatment-products.html

I agree with the advice about using F10 wound wash with insecticide rather than Rearguard.

I am very sorry that you lost Cookie :cry:

Morning everybody,

This morning I woke up to find one of my bunnies, Cookie, slumped over and clearly very poorly. She was rushed to the vets and we were told she had fly strike. The vet investigated and said that it was too advanced for it to be treatable and so the decision was made for her to be put to sleep. I am heartbroken.

I am angry because I do not know how this could have happened. They are cleaned very regularly, brushed etc. They are also checked. She was the cleanest of all of my rabbits and so it was so unexpected.

I have four other rabbits who live separately but in close proximity. I am now very worried about them. How likely is it that something could happen to them?

This morning I have bought some fly-catchers and I will go home tonight and will thoroughly clean everything with our jet-washer.

Is there anything else I can do? I have booked the four bunnies in to the vets (two tonight and two Saturday) to be checked and to have Rearguard applied.

Thank you.

I've just noticed that you mention having Rearguard applied. Personally (and it's one you should try and research) I wouldn't do this. I have known several rabbits who have had severe adverse reactions to it.

People on here have used and recommended F10 products, e.g. http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/dog...ducts-germicidal-wound-spray-with-insecticide. I prefer not to use chemicals on bunnies as they can so easily ingest them, but it's worth thinking about it.

The best prevention is checking their bottoms *twice* daily.

Good luck x

Thanks everyone. It has been an awful morning.

So how does F10 wound wash work? Would I apply that to the other bunnies as I would have done rearguard? Is it a preventative?

I used rearguard several times with no issues :?

Sadly I've known of three rabbits who have died within several days of application. The first was someone who used the TV vet Jeremy (can't remember his surname) and it was a complete shock ....Of course it could have been coincidence, but I'm not willing to take the risk :)

sorry for your loss. I check mine daily and grope too for want of a better word as I'm paranoid as they are fluffy buns. This year I'm using F10 as suggested by others here as found rear guard hard to apply using the sponge

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Checking daily here, but will step up to twice daily now. Shocking how fast this happens :(

Thank you everybody. I took two of them to the vets last night to have them checked and they applied rear-guard. The other two are going in the morning.

We are having Cookie cremated and we should be able to collect her ashes in about one week.

One of my bunnies has a particularly sticky bottom so for the time-being I am going to minimise her herb intake and just stick to her pellets and hay.

:cry:.. Poor wee soul, I am so sorry for your loss... Flystrike is a horrific condition

I hope your remaining bunnies keep in good health and you dont have to face this again

Thank you everybody. I took two of them to the vets last night to have them checked and they applied rear-guard. The other two are going in the morning.

We are having Cookie cremated and we should be able to collect her ashes in about one week.

One of my bunnies has a particularly sticky bottom so for the time-being I am going to minimise her herb intake and just stick to her pellets and hay.

It is usually too many pellets that are the cause of excess/uneaten cecotrophs. Perhaps try to reduce those rather than removing herbs from the diet.

Is the effected Rabbit one that was checked by the Vet today ? If not when you take him/her in tomorrow I'd ask the Vet to check his/her teeth and also check any mobility issues that could be preventing her from keeping him/herself clean. You could also ask the Vet to clip the fur around the Rabbit's rear end. This would make it easier for you to keep him/her clean. I'd also invest in fly netting to cover their enclosure/hutch etc.

Back