• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to take a newly bonded pair for the first vet checkup?

FredW

Alpha Buck
I don't know if this fits more in the bonding one or here, but since it's not just about bonding I thought it may be better here.

We had Bunbuns off to be bonded earlier last month, unfortunately it ended up not working out, so she had to go back again a couple of weeks ago. Since the only rescue place anywhere close is 35-40 mins away from here, it meant so far 4 long car journeys, as well as the whole bonding thing. she has now been home for nearly a week with her new husbun and they are really happy together.
He is only 8-9 months old and was just neutered last month, and has been in two rescue centres already in his short life.
further more, next month I shall be getting my new indoor enclosure for them from Boyles, so I am planning of having them go back to the rescue place for boarding as it will be quite noisy and I don't really have any other space to put them in while I am building it, so that will mean another two long car journeys for them.

so with that in mind, would it be a better idea in general to wait with the first vet visit until they have been properly settled in for a few months? the only thing is, my girl needs to be vaccinated again, it's her time, but since she is a house rabbit, would that be ok to put it off a little longer, as I don't really want to stress them out with yet another car drive and a vet visit on top of all they had to endure already.

hope that makes sense. just basically wonder, if it's ok to take them sooner, or should I wait, what are your opinions based on your experiences with bunnies.

Hiya. I'm pleased to hear Bunbuns has found herself a lovely toybun! I'm not sure what to advise re: taking them for stress reasons etc. but I know that house bunnies are just as susceptible to Myxi and VHD because it is carried by biting insects and not just transmitted through contact with wildies so I would suggest that you get her vaccinated at the time her booster is due and don't delay!

Last edited:
All I can say, really, is please do not delay in getting her boosters - it is so important. I think, if it were me, I would just make the appointment and take them both.

I too am happy to hear Bunbuns has found love. I wouldn't wait either for the vaccinations- maybe if it was winter but not this time of year

Thanks all for your replies, that's exactly what I thought too, just wanted to be sure I am doing the right thing with regards to the stress it would cause. plus, he was just done last month, so at least they would stay very much in sync. I've already registered him, so I guess next week will be vet week. :)

Back