• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet bum

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I've tried searching, but the forum won't let me search for the words wet or bum! I have emailed myself a load of links jane posted on another thread and will have a read of those as soon as I get into work

Basically Scarlett had either x rays or scans, I can't remember which, that showed sludge in her bladder about six weeks ago, her bladder was then expressed at the same time she had her dental and we haven't had any issues since. I have switched her to a low calcium diet, swapped her pellets from oxbow bunny basics to the vetcare plus urinary tract ones and only provided Timothy or oat hay, which obviously makes up the majority of their diet, changed her to bottled water and attempted to increase her water intake. I don't know if there is anything else I can be doing

A couple of days ago I noticed she was a little bit wet, however, my vet is currently not on the island and I had to see someone else. He felt her bladder and said it felt ok, and told me water intake is very important and to try and get more water into her. That was it! I have now noticed the same again today, she isn't soaked like she was the last time, it just seems to be little patches. There was pee on the floor so I can't even be sure she hasn't just sat in that! I just have a bad feeling about it

Scarlett is booked in for a dental on Thursday, which is when my usual vet is back. There are no other vets at my practise who are rabbit savvy, I'm finding that when I see other vets I'm generally having to make suggestions or requests, but I have no idea what to say in this situation, if anyone who has seen this before with their rabbits could just give me some guidance on what else a good vet might be expected to do in this situation it would be much appreciated. I don't want to wait until Thursday obviously, so am aiming to go back today, but I am pretty sure I will be fobbed off with Baytril if I don't say anything, it's a really frustrating and upsetting situation. I am not asking for vetinary advice ok here, just to hear what other peoples vets have maybe looked into so I can suggest the same

Sorry can't help with your query, but hopefully you'll get some info from old posts. Hope all goes well with dental, and your rabbit savvy vet can sort Scarlett out xx

Hi, You say you're on the Island, which Island? Is it IW.? I go to Green & Forster, They have some rabbit savvy ones there now, not only Dr G!

Thanks hun, I'm just worried because my vet isn't back for another seven days :( I think I have an idea of what to say to another vet

I'm not on isle of white, but thank you. I'm already with what is apparently the best practice for rabbits. I have spoken with other practices and wasn't satisfied with the answers given to some questions I asked. I am staying where I am at the moment because as at least I have the name of a vet I am confident with there

Thanks you guys x

I've tried searching, but the forum won't let me search for the words wet or bum! I have emailed myself a load of links jane posted on another thread and will have a read of those as soon as I get into work

Basically Scarlett had either x rays or scans, I can't remember which, that showed sludge in her bladder about six weeks ago, her bladder was then expressed at the same time she had her dental and we haven't had any issues since. I have switched her to a low calcium diet, swapped her pellets from oxbow bunny basics to the vetcare plus urinary tract ones and only provided Timothy or oat hay, which obviously makes up the majority of their diet, changed her to bottled water and attempted to increase her water intake. I don't know if there is anything else I can be doing

A couple of days ago I noticed she was a little bit wet, however, my vet is currently not on the island and I had to see someone else. He felt her bladder and said it felt ok, and told me water intake is very important and to try and get more water into her. That was it! I have now noticed the same again today, she isn't soaked like she was the last time, it just seems to be little patches. There was pee on the floor so I can't even be sure she hasn't just sat in that! I just have a bad feeling about it

Scarlett is booked in for a dental on Thursday, which is when my usual vet is back. There are no other vets at my practise who are rabbit savvy, I'm finding that when I see other vets I'm generally having to make suggestions or requests, but I have no idea what to say in this situation, if anyone who has seen this before with their rabbits could just give me some guidance on what else a good vet might be expected to do in this situation it would be much appreciated. I don't want to wait until Thursday obviously, so am aiming to go back today, but I am pretty sure I will be fobbed off with Baytril if I don't say anything, it's a really frustrating and upsetting situation. I am not asking for vetinary advice ok here, just to hear what other peoples vets have maybe looked into so I can suggest the same

With bladder sludge it can be a recurrent problem. The calcium deposits accumulate over a period of weeks and eventually episodes of incontinence can occur, as can episodes of cystitis.

How old is Scarlett now ? As Rabbits age they can become less active and bladder sludge can become a problem. I would suggest you ask the Vet to Xray her abdomen again when she is under GA for her Dental. It would be useful for the Vet to get a view of her hips and spine too. Osteoarthritis can sometimes be associated with bladder sludge problems. Not only due to the fact that a Rabbit with age related arthritis will probably be less active, but they may also fail to fully empty their bladder each time they urinate. The calcium deposits get left behind time after time. Obviously this will eventually cause problems.

Do you notice Scarlett straining to wee at all ?

I have used a very good vet in the past who dealt with bladder sludge. It can be a recurring thing, even if you do everything in your power to minimise it, as you are definitely doing :thumb:

My vet gave sub-Q fluids, expressed my rabbit's bladder manually (and showed me how to do it). He also did X-rays and a bladder flush when needed. Personally I would wait until Thursday when your normal vet is back rather than go with non-savvy vets, but that's my opinion. Only you can judge if she is in pain, and how much.

There may be an infection in her bladder, and not sludge, and therefore antibiotics are the right way to go. I think a good vet will be able to determine what to do next, so long as you are sure your vet is confident he/she knows what they are doing!

Thanks guys, very helpful as always :wave:

She will be turning nine sometime over this summer, so she is quite old. She seems absolutely fine in herself, doesn't appear to be straining at all. This is the difficulty though, just because I can't see she is in pain doesn't mean she isn't just hiding it very well. I would hate to wait a whole week and find out she was in pain :( I'm going today just incase she does need antibiotics or something and will mention to the other vet next week

I think he did mention that he would x ray when she had future dentals just to keep an eye on the problem but I will make sure he does and looks into the other stuff you mentioned

Xx

Back