• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Considering a second bun...

Sorry if this is a bit long or in the wrong section of the forum. I'm a first time bunny owner and I've had Lily for a year and a half. I did research but definitely not enough before getting her - she was from pets at home and they sold me a far too small indoor cage as they tend to do! If I could do it again of course I would get a rescue bun. She has lived in an x-pen for quite some time now and is (mostly) litter trained. When I got her, I was a student so had a lot of time in the house to let her have supervised exercise time in the living room and often other rooms. After that I moved home and she had my company and a lot of exercise time in one or two rooms, and even when I was working my dad was in to give her attention/let her out to run.

However my circumstances have changed and I now live in a small flat alone with her, working full time. I considered giving her up but I love her so much and couldn't bear to lose her unless I had to! She now gets an hour's supervised run in the morning then usually 4-5 hours each evening, and more on the weekends. I really worry I'm not giving her enough exercise and that she's lonely now I'm out in the day. I understand buns should have company and I would really like to get her a male neutered companion (she was spayed a year ago). My problem is that she is very feisty, active and independent, not aggressive but definitely not one to sit and cuddle very often (although she does love to lick my hands!). I don't know if she would be able to bond with another bun or how I would even get to a rescue to sort her out a companion - I don't drive, although I can afford taxis if necessary.

Has anyone had experience with rather grumpy buns being bonded? Or any other advice especially regarding her living space or exercise time? Thanks!

Lizzy

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave: I'm sure she would appreciate a friend, why not contact your nearest rescue, they will probably have lots of buns waiting for a new home who she could be tried with, rescues will often do the bonding for you, or at least help with it. You can find rescues on here http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

With regards to exercise space, she should have access to at least 44 sq ft of space permanently. You can join x pens together, or bunny proof a room and give them access to the whole room :thumb: does she have plenty of things to occupy her in the meantime (treat ball for feeding her pellets in, apple tree sticks to chew, tunnels etc)?

Hi and welcome :wave:

She may well not be feisty with another (or, at least, the right) bunny companion. A lot of rabbits who are challenging with their human friends live happily with a bonded bun. Def recommend the experienced bonder route, we are currently arranging similar. Good luck!

Rabbits do usually prefer to be with somebun. But in your case, I'd think very carefully. Rabbits can do a lot of damage and if you're renting, that might be a problem.

I am renting and kept two of my eight rabbits indoors for the first few months. They had a room to themselves with puppy panels all round the edge to protect the skirting boards/walls and lino and cardboard on the floor to protect the floorboards. No damage was done (phew) and they are now safely out in their brand new shed.

I hope you manage to find a lovely friend for your girl and a good indoor set up. Boyles pet housing do some lovely indoor areas that some people on here have got. Take a look.

http://boylespethousing.co.uk/

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies!

My plan is to have her free-range but I'm currently working on the bunny-proofing and in rented accommodation it does cause quite a lot of paranoia thinking about her rampaging about while I'm not in.

Zoobec - I didn't realise she needed so much permanent space and I feel like a terrible bunny mum now! I'll look into getting another xpen to join up for now or possibly the NIC cubes. I live in a studio flat - I had to move for a job and it was really tough getting anywhere to accept me with a rabbit. She loves zooming about when she's out but space being limited puts some restrictions on types of bun housing! She has a box to hide/dig in with a blanket and hay, a treat ball for her pellets, some wood chew toys and a wicker ball (that she ignores). Do you know of any good places to buy tunnels? She had a canvas one but hated it and it seems to have got lost in the move.

Orangediva & zoobec - thanks for the advice re bonding. I'm looking at some local rescue places and I'll ask if they give support :)

Happybun - that's part of my worry - I've got pretty lucky with Lily not being tremendously destructive, apart from the occasional nibble at a blanket and a few destroyed charger wires. I know buns can dig at skirting boards and all sorts!

Tulsi - thanks for the link, that stuff looks great! The puppy panels around the edges are a good idea too. Unfortunately I can't put her in her own room currently as my whole place is one room! Maybe in 6 months I can find somewhere with a bit more space and have her set up in her own room.

you could rabbit proof one of your rooms like above did. they are fun watching two interacting with one another,

Back