• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A successful spay!

Hi all!

Some of you may have read in my last thread about Daphne and Max, my bonded rescues. We weren't 100% sure that Daphne had been spayed due to urine marking, mating rituals and generally grumpy behaviour. P@H weren't too convincing either when they couldn't actually confirm for us that they had both been neutered.

We saw the vet at Companion Care yesterday. He had a very thorough feel of Max, who is definitely a boy minus some parts, and Daphne, who was as far as he could tell was unspayed. The surgeon was very reassuring - managing to sex them immediately, weighed them and gave them a very thorough health check each. He demonstrated plenty of knowledge about rabbits/neutering/weight/behaviours. Before Daphne even came out of the carrier he commented that she was acting like an unneutered female - stomping her feet and grunting. Max had his first vaccinations and but stayed with Daphne for moral support for the day. The vet was very understanding of this. Both of them climbed up my front as if to say 'Don't leave me!' which was sweet as until now they haven't shown an awful lot of affection towards us.

Daphne had to be spayed. We brought them both home that evening and had a very scary 4 hours watching her to make sure she didn't chew her stitches, but she wasn't eating or drinking either. All she did was sit in her tray and shake. After those first 4 hours she started to nibble at some apple and banana and drank a few teaspoons of cooled camomile tea and water. We put a collar on her overnight and my OH nursed her today. By the time I was home from work she was hopping around, nibbling hay and wolfing down pellets like nothing had happened.

She is going back for her post-op tomorrow evening and, if the vet feels she's healthy enough, her first vaccinations.

They both seem closer and more relaxed than ever. They seem to like us a bit more too - you'd think they'd be holding a grudge!

Oh great news, it's always a worry after a spay until they start eating and pooping. Hope her check up goes ok x

Hi all!

Some of you may have read in my last thread about Daphne and Max, my bonded rescues. We weren't 100% sure that Daphne had been spayed due to urine marking, mating rituals and generally grumpy behaviour. P@H weren't too convincing either when they couldn't actually confirm for us that they had both been neutered.

We saw the vet at Companion Care yesterday. He had a very thorough feel of Max, who is definitely a boy minus some parts, and Daphne, who was as far as he could tell was unspayed. The surgeon was very reassuring - managing to sex them immediately, weighed them and gave them a very thorough health check each. He demonstrated plenty of knowledge about rabbits/neutering/weight/behaviours. Before Daphne even came out of the carrier he commented that she was acting like an unneutered female - stomping her feet and grunting. Max had his first vaccinations and but stayed with Daphne for moral support for the day. The vet was very understanding of this. Both of them climbed up my front as if to say 'Don't leave me!' which was sweet as until now they haven't shown an awful lot of affection towards us.

Daphne had to be spayed. We brought them both home that evening and had a very scary 4 hours watching her to make sure she didn't chew her stitches, but she wasn't eating or drinking either. All she did was sit in her tray and shake. After those first 4 hours she started to nibble at some apple and banana and drank a few teaspoons of cooled camomile tea and water. We put a collar on her overnight and my OH nursed her today. By the time I was home from work she was hopping around, nibbling hay and wolfing down pellets like nothing had happened.

She is going back for her post-op tomorrow evening and, if the vet feels she's healthy enough, her first vaccinations.

They both seem closer and more relaxed than ever. They seem to like us a bit more too - you'd think they'd be holding a grudge!

I'm glad her spay went well :D What a relief!

Just to add, if I were you, I would leave it 2/3 weeks before getting her vaccinated. You may not wish to do so, and obviously your vet will be willing if she's OK. It's just that a spay is a big op and she will be recovering from that, and it's a lot for a rabbit to cope with a vaccination when they aren't in full health. She has just had a GA after all.

Just to add, if I were you, I would leave it 2/3 weeks before getting her vaccinated. You may not wish to do so, and obviously your vet will be willing if she's OK. It's just that a spay is a big op and she will be recovering from that, and it's a lot for a rabbit to cope with a vaccination when they aren't in full health. She has just had a GA after all.

So glad the op went well and that she's recovering nicely, definitely a big relief! I agree with the above though, I wouldn't vaccinate within a couple of weeks of a major operation like a spay. I think there is too much risk that because the body is busy repairing quite a major wound and recovering from surgery, and potentially fighting off infection from around that wound, it won't be able to generate enough immune response to a vaccine given during this time. So while it seems sensible to vaccinate ASAP, it might actually mean that she is left unprotected because it may not work. Personally the soonest I have vaccinated after a spay is 2 weeks.

Hope she continues to recover well and that everybun settles down nicely in your household :)

So glad her spay went well and I agree with the above re vaccination. Her immune system will be low after her op.

Back