• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with cleaning scent glands?

bayliss95

New Kit
Hi there, so my new girl rabbit is a lot bigger than my boy Sergio and when she got dropped off the first time I met her straight away I noticed a BO kind of smell. I thought it might just be the smell of her old owners or different cage or something.
Now I've noticed it is on her every now and then, it's like a BO, oniony type smell except not as harsh, I googled it and I saw her scent glands may need cleaning, I got my boyfriend to hold her while I looked for the ones by her genitals and I couldn't see them at all, I really need to clean them, how do I do this?

they are either side of their genital, gently move the fur and you should then see if they are filled with gunk and need cleaning or not ,if they do, I use little bit of warm water (tepid) and cotton bud and clean out with that you could also use cotton wool ball as they are sensitive down there

Hi there, so my new girl rabbit is a lot bigger than my boy Sergio and when she got dropped off the first time I met her straight away I noticed a BO kind of smell. I thought it might just be the smell of her old owners or different cage or something.
Now I've noticed it is on her every now and then, it's like a BO, oniony type smell except not as harsh, I googled it and I saw her scent glands may need cleaning, I got my boyfriend to hold her while I looked for the ones by her genitals and I couldn't see them at all, I really need to clean them, how do I do this?

Hold rabbit firmly, and dip a cotton bud in warm water ...... clean out scent gland and *hold nose* :lol:

Is she spayed ? Entire Does can pass urine that smells more than that of a spayed Doe, so it may not be her scent glands at all.

The scent glands are located on either side of the genitals (the arrows marked 'A' )

You can clean them using cotton buds. If you dip the tip of the bud into a bit of olive oil this will soften the waxy secretion making it easier to remove. You do need to be very careful not to tear the delicate skin. Usually a Rabbit will keep their scent glands clean themselves. It is generally only necessary to clean them yourself if the Rabbit is unable to do so eg due to some sort of mobility problem. Rabbits with Dental problems may also find self grooming to be more of a challenge.

Hi there, just tried this, my boyfriend held her, and managed to move her fur to see it, she didnt like it at all and wouldnt let me do it! any advice, this was before I even starting with the cotton bud! Thanks for all your replies

Hi take 2, I managed to get her still and found the glands, they looked perfectly clean no black gunk at all! and also the smell wasn't there as much, is it possible she just cleaned them?

Hi take 2, I managed to get her still and found the glands, they looked perfectly clean no black gunk at all! and also the smell wasn't there as much, is it possible she just cleaned them?

Gosh, all that trouble and they are clean :D Certainly it's not always necessary. Worth checking every now and again, but not often!

Sometimes the bunnies cecal pellets have an onion smell.
I have rarely had to clean the scent glands of my bunnies and that was with disabled bunnies and an overweight bunny.

When I did have to clean the glands, I would soak their entire butt in slightly warm water for several minutes before trying to remove any gunk.

Last edited:
Back