• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Green urine?

AmberNikSee

Alpha Buck
Tonight(830p) I noticed Bofurs litter pan had green urine in it, it was clear at roughly 2pm.
Is the a sign of something?
Acting normal-ish, eating is normal and has been pooing normally as well. Caught him sleeping today which also isn't normal but I'm also not usually home at that time of day so I wasn't worried. Should I be concerned?

Tonight(830p) I noticed Bofurs litter pan had green urine in it, it was clear at roughly 2pm.
Is the a sign of something?
Acting normal-ish, eating is normal and has been pooing normally as well. Caught him sleeping today which also isn't normal but I'm also not usually home at that time of day so I wasn't worried. Should I be concerned?

Has he eaten anything unusual (for him) over the last 24 hours ?
What substrate is in the litter pan ?

Normal Rabbit urine can vary greatly in colour due to things like diet and hydration status, but truly green urine as opposed to a yellowish green is not a normal finding. So if it continues I would contact your Vet.

Some photos of normal Rabbit urine colours on here:

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

Has Bofurs chewed any green dyed wood ie wooden toys. They have colourings sometimes which can run or come out when wet or chewed.

Thank you for your speedy responses!
He had a little spinach for breakfast today.
I use piddle pads for his litter.
It's a very light yellowish green color and he's been drinking more water lately.
He doesn't really seem to like toys so it's not that but I never would've thought about a dye transfer but I'll keep it filed away in case!

Thank you for your speedy responses!
He had a little spinach for breakfast today.
I use piddle pads for his litter.
It's a very light yellowish green color and he's been drinking more water lately.
He doesn't really seem to like toys so it's not that but I never would've thought about a dye transfer but I'll keep it filed away in case!

A greenish colour urine is more than likely to be down to something he's eaten. You mention the spinach and it's probably that :D

I wouldn't worry any more if I were you!

Back