• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to neuter my 2 french lops

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
Hi All!

I currently have a spayed 4 year old French Lop doe bonded with 2 11 week old French lops. One is a male and the other a female. I read somewhere that I could neuter the male at 16 weeks? Seems a bit young? They are both now the size of miniature lops and growing rapidly each week.

I don't have any experience with baby French lops, this is all new to me.

Thanks

:)

Generally speaking a Buck can be neutered as soon as his testicles have descended. This usually occurs at about 14-16 weeks, sometimes even as young as 12 weeks. Although larger breeds may mature slightly later. I would not keep an entire Buck with an unspayed Doe after the age of 12 weeks regardless of the breed type.

Does are usually spayed at around 6 months. Some Vets will do them at 5 months if the Doe is a good weight-ie above 1kg. Although personally I would not want to have a Doe spayed before 6 months unless absolutely essential. I would also not want a Giant Breed Doe spayed before 8 months. Although many Vets are happy to do so. It is just my opinion that a Giant Breed needs a bit longer to mature.

Thank you, I shall book little Mitchell in to get neutered at the end of this month.

When I am there I shall see what their thoughts are on spaying Gloria as she is growing extremely fast compared to little Mitchell.

Hi All!

I currently have a spayed 4 year old French Lop doe bonded with 2 11 week old French lops. One is a male and the other a female. I read somewhere that I could neuter the male at 16 weeks? Seems a bit young? They are both now the size of miniature lops and growing rapidly each week.

I don't have any experience with baby French lops, this is all new to me.

Thanks

:)

A friend of mine who has kept French Lops for 30+ years usually gets her Buck neutered at 5/6 months and her Does a month or so later than that, unless they are particularly mature earlier. Although males can be neutered earlier than that, at the Mayhew Animal Home where I volunteered, they routinely did them at five months unless there was a very good reason to do otherwise.

He should be booked in to be neutered as soon as you see his testicles. So you need to check him daily and you may need to have it done sooner.

Back