• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies have trauma memories??

honeywebb

Young Bun
Last night my husband came home to find Mojo with his head stuck through the bars of his run! Not sure how long he'd been like it but it could have been up to an hour at the most. It was a horrendous sight.:(
We had to cut the cage wires to release him...he seemed dazed & confused & just sat huddled in one position for an hour or so with Skittle fussing over him & licking his ears. We kept a close watch on him & eventually he went up his tube into his bed.
Thankfully this morning he seems back to normal & is eating so no broken jaw which was what I was worried about.
My question is..do rabbits remember a 'trauma' and know not to repeat it?? I'm now paranoid that he will do it again before my husband gets chance to line the run with chicken wire. I suppose I will have to block their run up so they can't get access until it's done but they like their grassy area especially now in the summer..this has never happened before & we've had the run for about 5 years.

Horrendous thing to happen to a rabbit. :(

There are some horrific experiences on here of rabbits dying because they have had their heads stuck in metal runs, and also of foxes/dogs just running through them knocking them over.

I suggest buying a good quality wooden run - lots of ideas on the forum.

It's terrifying finding a bun like that - we found Cheyenne doing the same but thankfully it was only for a few minutes and she was absolutley fine.

Do they remember not to do it again - I don't know. Cheyenne loves to get into a particular corner and no matter how much we block it off she gets in - but cannot get out and has been stuck in there for up to an hour. I let her out - and she is straight back there trying to get back in again.:roll:

So I wouldn't assume that your bun won't try it again - they are not know for having common sense in matters like these:roll:

our girl bunny appears to have some nasty memories from before the time we had her. moving or sitting in certain ways is very distressful for her so are banned in the house. to guests too. she had what can only be described as nightmares too. she now, gladly feels safe with us and signs of trauma are rare now. still happens from time to to time. not any extent like when she first moved on with us.

Back