• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for Elmo please... He's passed away :'(

Boots

Mama Doe
I knew something wasn't right last night, he just didn't look happy and wasn't taking food :( I gave him some metacam and critical care around midnight in the hope he'd be sorted by morning (they do have these little 'scares' every now and again) but I've gone in this morning and he's huddled up facing a corner and is refusing food :cry:

I'm so scared. He recently had an obstruction removed, so if it's that again I don't know whether they can operate again. We've been trimming his long fur quite short to minimise any risk, as well as brushing him and the girls.

My OH has just popped out to see if he can get kale to tempt him with, but I think we're going to need to take him to the vets again.

He was so happy yesterday, he's been sunbathing all weekend :love:

Please send my fluffy little man some vibes, he's so wonderful and we need him to get better xxxx

Last edited:
Sending you get better quickly vibes Elmo, hope you get on ok at the vets this morning xxxxxx

Poor lad :cry: Has he poo'd ? Given his history personally I'd get him to the Vets straight away this morning. I really would not wait any longer. Sending millions of vibes for him xx

Thank you as always everyone :love:

We took him first thing this morning, with the girls. His weight is slightly down and he has some minor spurs, so the vet suggested a dental and the usual emeprid, metacam (bearing in mind the dose he's already had) and baytril.

He had a look at the girls and said they're both due a dental too, even though they're fine at the moment, so they're all together.

However, we just got home and the vet phoned to say Elmo has high blood glucose again :cry: They're going to start him on some fluids and gut motility and do an X-ray to see what's going on. His stomach didn't feel tight and was malleable, and he had gut sounds.

We might have to opt to operate again, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

Sitting here trying to keep it together, but failing miserably! :cry: x

Oh no, poor Elmo. I hope he responds to treatment so that surgery isn't necessary.

Sending lots of vibes for Elmo and a hug for you. xx

Thank you everyone xxx

The girls are home after having dentals, and they're both eating little bits and seem fairly bright. :D

Elmo's blood glucose went obscenely high before the op, I actually don't even want to write the number down here it was so unbelievable. He has come through surgery and is recovering. He had another obstruction :cry: that they have worked through his system. He also had a dental.

We desperately need him to eat and poop now.

The vet said to my OH earlier "we don't see very many of these cases make it to the operating theatre at all, in fact I've only had two so far this year", not realising that those two cases were Elmo and Chin!!

I am tearing myself apart wondering if we're doing something wrong with their care. We think Elmo is an angora mix, as his fur is incredibly thick and fine and long, so we keep it trimmed short and have started to brush him to get rid of any loose bits. The girls have short hair and keep themselves in good shape. They eat copious amounts of hay and have some pellets in the evening, as well as grass. We thought it might have been Elmo's fur that caused the obstruction before, as he could develop small mats that he could potentially have nibbled off and swallowed. We've been REALLY on top of this though and he's not had any in a long time. They've always been so healthy and we've not changed anything, so I'm confused and a bit lost. Please don't think I'm a bad bunny mum, I love them wholeheartedly and would do anything for them. We feel they have a great set up and life. It's so strange that after 5.5 years they've started to have some issues :(

Poop and eat and poop and eat Elmo xxx

You sound a brilliant bunny mummy, your buns are very lucky to have you. Glad the Girls are home and ok after their dentals. Sending loads of eating and pooing vibes for Elmo xxxxx

Also, Illy has been eating hay and Chinook has been eating dried dandelion, so we have progress! Let's hope Elmo is also progressing in the vets xxx

Glad that your girls are doing OK. Sending lots and lots of vibes for Elmo, I hope he recovers very soon. xx

Back