• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my Bunnies leg Sprained or Broken!?

My just over 2 month old bunny was behind me when a small ironing board fell over towards him. He ran out of the way and before I could see what happened he was in his tunnel scared to come out. I don't know if he was frightened and ran away and when he moved too fast on the laminent floors he pulled a muscle or the board fell on him.

The board fell 80% on a pillow so the force wouldn't be 100%. He is hopping around with his left leg in the air and not able to stretch it out. However it's been 2 days and he's putting more weight on it and stretching it more now.

We took him to the vet and he wasn't sure (mind you he didn't seem to know what he was talking about) the X-rays to find out are going to cost over $500 and I don't want to spend it if I don't have to but also I love him and want what's best.

He's in pain meds the vet gave us and he seems happier. Any advise or ways I could check and see what's going on? He doesn't flinch if I thouch it or move it at all. Only when I pull his leg almost all the way.

I would love any help I can get - he's been such an inspiration in my life I don't want him to be hurt - I feel like a Terrible mom!! 🐰🐰💕💕

It may be impossible to rule out a fracture without having xrays taken. If there were to be a fracture then this may require surgery in order for it to heal in a way that would not cause life-long problems for the Rabbit. Of course strains and sprains can occur and these can heal with anti-inflammatories and rest. But as the Vet could not rule out a fracture with a basic examination of the injured limb then it may be that an Xray becomes an essential diagnostic tool to enable your Rabbit to receive appropriate treatment. I would take your Rabbit back to the Vet for re-checking and to discuss the best way to proceed. In the meantime your Rabbit needs to be kept as quiet as possible to avoid further limb damage and to assist any healing that may possibly occur.

Good luck

As Jane says it maybe impossible to tell without an xray. I know you can have trouble finding rabbits vets in the US so it might be worth trying your local house rabbit society or similar and see if they have a recommended vet list. At least they way you know when you are handing over money they know what they are talking about.

Rugs are a good idea for laminate as rabbits find it very slippy, it's particularly important while he heals. Restricting his space will be important too, so he's not dashing about while it mends.

Back