• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Santa's garden, especially for Jane and anyone else who cares to peer in

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Apologies for the state of the photos, they're dreadful. Partly because I'm a terrible photographer, and partly because the sun was just in the 'wrong' place when I was taking them!

View from the kitchen door, that's a walnut tree. In summer I hang a hanging chair from it, and I can get wifi there :lol:
IMG_7750_zpssulcypmq.jpg

Same area but from the corner in the left, so the walnut tree is now on the far right. The hedge at the end is our back boundary, beyond it there is a farmer's field. He grows Christmas trees. They are brilliant as neighbours :lol:
IMG_7751_zps64o0ks81.jpg

And from the other angle. There is a rabbit warren under the flower bed at the back corner, where the small conifer type tree thingy is.
IMG_7753_zpsaviaszuv.jpg

If you go back to the first picture, and then imagine you are turning right past the brick pillar, you come to the entrance to 'zone 2' :lol:
IMG_7754_zps2dicgs5s.jpg

From there, if you look straight ahead (ish) you see this, a more wildlifey area leading down to the willow tree and pond, which is fed by a natural spring along the right boundary. We have our very own Peckham Spring :lol:
IMG_7755_zpsglipzkgh.jpg

Look to the left, and here's the rest of that patch of garden. The large tree on the left is the one you just saw in the photo with the gate. That sorry looking twig right in the middle in the foreground is a mulberry tree. Apparently it's about 30 years old. The first building you can see down the bottom is the aviary where Bertram and Beatrice live, and the one behind it is where the babies are.
IMG_7756_zpsw5fmifkv.jpg

And a bit closer in. We kept on clonking some metal posts on the lawnmower so I eventually dug them up and discovered that they're turn of the century (19-20th) tennis net posts! As soon as you know that, you can see the flat bit where there obviously used to be a tennis court!
IMG_7758_zpswtbidjgy.jpg

Here's our tiniest tree! Plenty of crows nest in it.
IMG_7757_zpslm2ozzff.jpg

Right down the bottom, the willow tree which has sadly split in half, the walnut tree which fell down in the winds last year (causing the willow to split) and another walnut which is still standing...but is peppered with holes which the woodpeckers make! A family of Green woodpeckers nested in it last year
IMG_7759_zps0qa1fkgw.jpg

If you look to the left from the photo above, you come to our 'utility' area, aka lawn mower storage, dump, bonfire, compost heap. The wild rabbits have colonised the heap.
IMG_7762_zpsmagxvkws.jpg

Some of the warren entrances
IMG_7763_zpswrftybdv.jpg

Pass the utility area and you come to the area where there definitely aren't any invisabuns. I've been busy today pulling down overgrown hawthorn, hence the giant pile of it to the left hand side. No, I don't use that small hutch to the front - that's going to go as enrichment in the new pen which is being prepared.
IMG_7764_zpsrcth4e00.jpg

Here's the area I'm working on at the moment ready for a new shed and aviary which I'm planning on moving the babies into soon. It's going to be a 6*4 shed with a 6*6 aviary attached. Snowdrop's pen is the one to the right, Siouxsie's is to the left, and Daphne's is just out of shot opposite Siouxsie's. There used to be a pond where that hole is now!
IMG_7773_zpsepw0oavg.jpg

Opposite the area I'm clearing for the new shed, there is a gap in the hedge which brings you into the orchard area. This is behind Bertram & Beatrice's shed which you saw earlier. The shed immediately to the left is where the four baby bunnies are living. The gap in the fence you can see ahead of you takes you back into the top part of the garden, the tree in the top left is the walnut tree you could see from the kitchen door.
IMG_7765_zpsuhffyead.jpg

Clear as mud? Would you care to try drawing a map :lol:

Wow it looks so gorgeous and huge. More like a park really! :love: And that's so cool about the tennis court!

I'm lost just looking at it. You'd have to send out a search party if I were let loose.

Wow! :shock:
I want one just like it! :D

Those are fantastic photos, Santa, thank you for sharing them. Goodness, it is quite a paradise, you are so fortunate. :) xxxx

Holy crapalons...that's my new favourite phrase :lol:

Yes we are really fortunate, we have about 1.6 acres in total, and love every bit of it :) Alas the bunnies don't get to come out and enjoy all the land as we'd never catch them again and also we have lots of predators such as foxes which sometimes appear during the day, buzzards and other birds of prey. Last year we even had a little muntjac pottering about in the garden, which was amazing. This year all I've seen is a load of hornets, they're obviously nesting somewhere nearby...but not too near I hope! The best thing is not having any neighbours, the peace and quiet is wonderful!

It's a little piece of heaven. I think I could forget the rest of the world quite nicely whilst I was wandering about there.

Having wild bunnies living in my garden would just be the icing on the cake :love:

Apologies for the state of the photos, they're dreadful. Partly because I'm a terrible photographer, and partly because the sun was just in the 'wrong' place when I was taking them!

View from the kitchen door, that's a walnut tree. In summer I hang a hanging chair from it, and I can get wifi there :lol:
IMG_7750_zpssulcypmq.jpg

Same area but from the corner in the left, so the walnut tree is now on the far right. The hedge at the end is our back boundary, beyond it there is a farmer's field. He grows Christmas trees. They are brilliant as neighbours :lol:
IMG_7751_zps64o0ks81.jpg

And from the other angle. There is a rabbit warren under the flower bed at the back corner, where the small conifer type tree thingy is.
IMG_7753_zpsaviaszuv.jpg

If you go back to the first picture, and then imagine you are turning right past the brick pillar, you come to the entrance to 'zone 2' :lol:
IMG_7754_zps2dicgs5s.jpg

From there, if you look straight ahead (ish) you see this, a more wildlifey area leading down to the willow tree and pond, which is fed by a natural spring along the right boundary. We have our very own Peckham Spring :lol:
IMG_7755_zpsglipzkgh.jpg

Look to the left, and here's the rest of that patch of garden. The large tree on the left is the one you just saw in the photo with the gate. That sorry looking twig right in the middle in the foreground is a mulberry tree. Apparently it's about 30 years old. The first building you can see down the bottom is the aviary where Bertram and Beatrice live, and the one behind it is where the babies are.
IMG_7756_zpsw5fmifkv.jpg

And a bit closer in. We kept on clonking some metal posts on the lawnmower so I eventually dug them up and discovered that they're turn of the century (19-20th) tennis net posts! As soon as you know that, you can see the flat bit where there obviously used to be a tennis court!
IMG_7758_zpswtbidjgy.jpg

Here's our tiniest tree! Plenty of crows nest in it.
IMG_7757_zpslm2ozzff.jpg

Right down the bottom, the willow tree which has sadly split in half, the walnut tree which fell down in the winds last year (causing the willow to split) and another walnut which is still standing...but is peppered with holes which the woodpeckers make! A family of Green woodpeckers nested in it last year
IMG_7759_zps0qa1fkgw.jpg

If you look to the left from the photo above, you come to our 'utility' area, aka lawn mower storage, dump, bonfire, compost heap. The wild rabbits have colonised the heap.
IMG_7762_zpsmagxvkws.jpg

Some of the warren entrances
IMG_7763_zpswrftybdv.jpg

Pass the utility area and you come to the area where there definitely aren't any invisabuns. I've been busy today pulling down overgrown hawthorn, hence the giant pile of it to the left hand side. No, I don't use that small hutch to the front - that's going to go as enrichment in the new pen which is being prepared.
IMG_7764_zpsrcth4e00.jpg

Here's the area I'm working on at the moment ready for a new shed and aviary which I'm planning on moving the babies into soon. It's going to be a 6*4 shed with a 6*6 aviary attached. Snowdrop's pen is the one to the right, Siouxsie's is to the left, and Daphne's is just out of shot opposite Siouxsie's. There used to be a pond where that hole is now!
IMG_7773_zpsepw0oavg.jpg

Opposite the area I'm clearing for the new shed, there is a gap in the hedge which brings you into the orchard area. This is behind Bertram & Beatrice's shed which you saw earlier. The shed immediately to the left is where the four baby bunnies are living. The gap in the fence you can see ahead of you takes you back into the top part of the garden, the tree in the top left is the walnut tree you could see from the kitchen door.
IMG_7765_zpsuhffyead.jpg

Clear as mud? Would you care to try drawing a map :lol:

Well, this seldom happens but I am speechless !!

OH.........................MY..........................GOODNESS........................... !!

:shock:

That is just wonderful. Ours is wonderful too but on a waaaaaay smaller scale.

Best of luck with the newest part of the set up. I love having sheds for my lot. So sociable and easy to keep clean.

Back