• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winston's first night free range in the living room!

ImoT

Mama Doe
So Winston had his last post op check for his slightly complicated neuter this evening and he's been given the all clear to be pen free. He used to be free range in the kitchen but I wanted to move him to the living room once he was neutered. He's been in a pen in the living room for the last 10 days, but i've taken a panel out of the pen so he can be completely free range. I'm nervous about him weeing on the carpet or chewing the curtains! Fingers crossed he doesn't destroy the room. It would be great if this works because I love having him in the living room :)

Well done Winston, I'm so glad he's made a full recovery. Bells and Rosie are currently running around my living room as I type. They are no trouble really though we found it harder to bunny proof the living room than the kitchen due to the large number of tv, telephone, lamp and computer wires. They don't live in here but they always have a run in the evening and we've had no problems. Good luck!

Aww bless him, that's brilliant! :)

I've recently had my two free range, which they are during the day and have been absolutely fine! I've kept their base cages in the lounge & both are using those to pee & Poop in and we haven't had any accidents yet! :) to be honest, we have never bunny proofed anything, They have a cardboard castle, tunnel & a large willow ball.. And we have never had any issue of chewing our furniture! :)

Unfortunately we have resulted to putting them back in their pens at night, as if we shut our bedroom door the little sods will scratch at the door until we open it or if we leave open, they will sleep under the bed.. And if they want our attention will literally come straight upto us & stamp their feet for attention!!! - seriously naughty bunnies! ;)

Good luck with Winston - bet he'll love it!!! :)

Aww bless him, that's brilliant! :)

I've recently had my two free range, which they are during the day and have been absolutely fine! I've kept their base cages in the lounge & both are using those to pee & Poop in and we haven't had any accidents yet! :) to be honest, we have never bunny proofed anything, They have a cardboard castle, tunnel & a large willow ball.. And we have never had any issue of chewing our furniture! :)

Unfortunately we have resulted to putting them back in their pens at night, as if we shut our bedroom door the little sods will scratch at the door until we open it or if we leave open, they will sleep under the bed.. And if they want our attention will literally come straight upto us & stamp their feet for attention!!! - seriously naughty bunnies! ;)

Good luck with Winston - bet he'll love it!!! :)

Are they free range even when you aren't at home? We have a huge tv unit/display cabinet thing that all our wires are behind and my OH made a wood guard to cover the gap at the bottom so I'm not worried about wire chewing. We have some gorgeous floor length curtains we had made out of fabric to match our cushions, although he has never showed any interest in chewing them he's never been left free range in there overnight/on his own when we are out so I am slightly worried! He does have plenty of toys and yummy treat hay to play with/munch on so I am hoping he will choose those instead!

Yep even when we're both working! We must be mad..

We started off Just leaving them for an hour or so while we did the shopping or we were outside and they we're absolutely fine, so again just started extending the time.

To be fair, even Since they were babies they have always had full access to our lounge, when they had playtime! :) we bunny proofed when we first had them but always said no whenever they went for anything and it's now second nature! We have a mixture of idea and oak furniture & lucky for us. They have only ever nibbled one ikea leg which was easily replaced!

All our cables are tied up With cable ties, the tv ones are pretty well hidden. It's just our phone & internet that are fairly viable but we have a cuddly toy in the corner so they never bother.

Our curtains are just above the floor. I must admit, Harvey did take a liking when he was little but soon left them alone! But otherwise no problem, we do have honey jump on our sofa, jump over to our poof & onto our coffee table so we have to make sure we move the post otherwise it will be eaten. And onto our window sill but they are really well behaved and were really lucky! Touch wood! :)

I would be tempted to maybe watch him a little first? Mine have been out daily for almost a week now & I do still pop home at lunch to check on them & take them outside for 30 mins or so too. As suppose it prevents them getting bored! Xx

, the first day we did, I couldn't stop worrying what I would come home too, but they have been out the last 4 days

Aww glad Winston has got the all clear and can now be pen free!

Scrappy is fully free range in the flat, even at night and when I'm at work. She pretty much goes wherever she want. Although she never goes into the kitchen. Probably because she sees it as the servant's quarters :lol:

All cables and wires are hidden behind high panels that she can't get to them. Chewing furniture has never been an issue as she's not a chewer (plus she doesn't have any incisors). Not sure how much of a chewer Winston is?

Hope it works out, it'll be great to have him hopping around the living room, lord of his own manor :love:

Aww go Winston!

I mean Rosie is out and about the biggest issue with her is that it's carpet and she see's that as go time and gets her munch on!:lol: no matter what or how we put things down she can be a wee madam (she's gotten into a habit of biting the carpet as a way to demand petting).

Other than that, no complaints :)

You'll find what you need to adjust as you go, I had wires al hidden and one was settled down in the floor so much I couldn't even get to it and thought it was fine - apparently not, so I've managed to fix that etc. You will find yourself what to adapt :D

I have good news everyone! Winston didn't put a paw wrong last night. The only thing was a little poo on the carpet next to the tarp where his litter tray is, I think he accidentally brought it with him when my OH came into the room because he go excited and wanted to say hello!

I've checked all the corners of the room for accidental wee's or signs of digging/chewing but all is good!

Does anyone know how prone rabbits are to random acts of destruction? ie. if he never chews a thing is it likely he will suddenly decide to chew the curtains in 6 months time or something?

Yep even when we're both working! We must be mad..

We started off Just leaving them for an hour or so while we did the shopping or we were outside and they we're absolutely fine, so again just started extending the time.

To be fair, even Since they were babies they have always had full access to our lounge, when they had playtime! :) we bunny proofed when we first had them but always said no whenever they went for anything and it's now second nature! We have a mixture of idea and oak furniture & lucky for us. They have only ever nibbled one ikea leg which was easily replaced!

All our cables are tied up With cable ties, the tv ones are pretty well hidden. It's just our phone & internet that are fairly viable but we have a cuddly toy in the corner so they never bother.

Our curtains are just above the floor. I must admit, Harvey did take a liking when he was little but soon left them alone! But otherwise no problem, we do have honey jump on our sofa, jump over to our poof & onto our coffee table so we have to make sure we move the post otherwise it will be eaten. And onto our window sill but they are really well behaved and were really lucky! Touch wood! :)

I would be tempted to maybe watch him a little first? Mine have been out daily for almost a week now & I do still pop home at lunch to check on them & take them outside for 30 mins or so too. As suppose it prevents them getting bored! Xx

, the first day we did, I couldn't stop worrying what I would come home too, but they have been out the last 4 days

Ruth, does saying 'no' work? I thought it was tricky to teach rabbits 'no' and they find it hard to understand, and that methods such as distraction tend to be better.

Winston is very used to being in the living room because even when he lived in the kitchen he would spend the day in the living room if we were in and spend most evenings in there. Also I have been letting him out of his pen for the last few days for a few hours each evening so I know he knows the room quite well and I didn't need to go quite as slowly as I would have done if it was a totally new room :)

Mine free range the majority of the house full time. Bunny proofing comes really naturally now. At the moment its only the living room while they're bonding. I've had house bunnies for 22 years & always free range. Initially (years ago) they destroyed all sorts but my current bunnies are good - I think it's because they get loads of chew toys these days. There are a few wooden bits of furniture they occasionally attempt to chew - a small sacrifice for so much fun & happy bunnies. As Boo likes to climb everywhere I do miss being able to put house plants where I want.

I hope Winston realises it is in his best interests to behave . Good luck

Yay, Winston! I can't wait until I'm in a place where Amy can free range (I still live with my parents for now).

It has got to the point with us where we have removed Gypsy's playpen that was attached to her base cage because it was pointless, she was getting over it all the time she is free range pretty much most of the time but unfortunately I do put her in at night and when no one is home. I really dislike doing it but i am still trying to figure out how to change that, we are almost 100% bunny proofed now. Even though Gypsy isn't a chewer or destructive, Burberry can be. Once all neutered and spayed they will be fully free range and by this point the house will be safe enough for me to leave them out. My dogs get on really well with the rabbits and are out with them but i would never leave them unsupervised so that is also one of my issues. My dogs go in a crate at night and when no one is home too. xxx

Hi IMO, well being honest when they we're little I would say a sturn 'no' and then touch their bum which they would normally quickly jump away. Think I only did this for about 1 month, and since then whenever I say 'no' or even if I go to move my leg as though I'm getting up, they'll stop straight away!

But being honest, I'm really lucky and they hardly ever chew anything.. Its normally when they are eating and pinch each others food, so i'll say 'no honey..' And she'll quickly dart away from where she is & do a binky and flop out! Which I just crack up at and can't resist their little face! Lol!

I know this probably sounds silly, but I truely believe rabbits know when they are being naughty, as my two have the most cheeky faces ever! When I say 'no' to Harvey, he'll run over to me & nudge me.. Then sit by my feet, I swear he thinks he's a dog or trying to tell me that he gets the last word, or nudge! Haha! :)

Honestly, Great news about winston.. So pleased!!! Hope he continues to be good for you xx

Hi IMO, well being honest when they we're little I would say a sturn 'no' and then touch their bum which they would normally quickly jump away. Think I only did this for about 1 month, and since then whenever I say 'no' or even if I go to move my leg as though I'm getting up, they'll stop straight away!

But being honest, I'm really lucky and they hardly ever chew anything.. Its normally when they are eating and pinch each others food, so i'll say 'no honey..' And she'll quickly dart away from where she is & do a binky and flop out! Which I just crack up at and can't resist their little face! Lol!

I know this probably sounds silly, but I truely believe rabbits know when they are being naughty, as my two have the most cheeky faces ever! When I say 'no' to Harvey, he'll run over to me & nudge me.. Then sit by my feet, I swear he thinks he's a dog or trying to tell me that he gets the last word, or nudge! Haha! :)

Honestly, Great news about winston.. So pleased!!! Hope he continues to be good for you xx

Hmmm interesting, I think I shall give that a little go.

We had a little set back today. We have a little shelf in our tv unit that has the apple tv, now tv and playstation on it and has access to the back of the unit for wires. Winston managed to get up there and we found him scrabbling around with the wires. Thank goodness he didn't chew anything. We have had to fill the gaps with board games/playstation games which looks a bit naff but it's better than him getting up there! I did actually use the word no when he was up there. Also he has decided his favourite spot to sit is right by the french doors which is the only access point to the back garden. He has been very interested in the garden when we open the doors to go outside. I need to think of a way to train him to 'stay'. I started clicker training a while ago but haven't had time recently, I think it's something that will have to wait until the summer holidays when i'm not at work.

Back