• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This Makes me Feel Sad

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Someone has taken on a Rabbit from the P@H Adoption Section. They have had the Rabbit for ONE WEEK and now they are selling her and her far too small cage on Gumtree for £130 :cry:

The only redeeming factors being that the Rabbit has been vaccinated and the seller is throwing in the Neutering Voucher with the sale.

No point to this thread really, just feeling :cry:

Someone has taken on a Rabbit from the P@H Adoption Section. They have had the Rabbit for ONE WEEK and now they are selling her and her far too small cage on Gumtree for £130 :cry:

The only redeeming factors being that the Rabbit has been vaccinated and the seller is throwing in the Neutering Voucher with the sale.

It makes me sad too to hear this. The poor Rabbit being passed around like a parcel at a party :cry:. I don't understand why P@H do not do home checks and they will probably spend the money from that sale on another pet! xx

When people adopt a rabbit from support adoption they sign some paperwork to say they must take them back if they cannot any longer care for them. Have you a link to it Jane then I can pass it on to the charity to investigate.

Send a screenshot of the advert to info@actionforrrabbits.co.uk, they can tell PAH head office that this is going on, and I've seen it go on too!! The more these ads are reported to PAH, the more they'll have to train staff on how to rehome these creatures to GENUINE forever homes, if they're going to sell them at all.

Cat they do follow a whole list of questions then the customer signs all this at the end...they are given care sheets to read with all the info and sign paperwork to declare they will return them if the can no longer care for them. If people want to deceive someone they will. We have had a couple of our adoptions from RSPCA Macc on gumtree as well....both of them promised the best homes they had home checks etc.

My local pets at home is feltham and I've seen rabbits go out and back in to adoption, glad I haven't seen any on gumtree yet
But saying that I try not to go into p@h now and I don't go on gumtree much too!
Hope this bun gets a good home, if I had the space I'd take her till she could find a proper home but unfortunately I don't with recently getting a dog & all outdoor accommodation is taken up by my own buns!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

It's bizarre the amount of people that only have their new pet a week or two before they rehome it. I see it all the time on craigslist. my buns Ben and Timmy were from a couple that only had them 2 weeks, if that.

It's just crazy, why go to all the trouble of gettign a pet if you're only going to keep them for a week. Are they that difficult that you'd can't even give it a bit of time, see if you can adjust :? It's the level of intolerance that gets me. Like oh this animal is too much of an inconvenience, instead of being patient and understanding I'm just going to get rid of it and maybe replace it with something else.

Although in this case I wonder if they're trying to make money off the rabbit. Depends how much they spent on the cage, supplies etc I guess. £130 is a lot but then pet store cages/supplies are ridiculously expensive.

Thing is, are they running at a profit? I knew someone at schools who's parents would do two things;

- get puppies and kittens, soon as they were becoming adults (aka not cute puppies and kittens) sell them on at profit
- get animals and their cages on the cheap, keep them til they were bored and sell them on at a profit

Rinse. Repeat.

But again that's me with my old woman cynical hat on - I mean, that is outrageous and I hope something good can come with what everyone's discussing above. Thing is, the charity, will have the same old "give back to us clause" but how many of us have actually seen it happen? Hoping I'm in the minority but the other day I seen someone free-ad as in they were free not from a free-ad site - a cat they'd just adopted from a rescue because they werent settling as they'd hoped. -shrugs-

P@H are the worst place to get any pet from in my opinion. When I used to keep tropical fish I'd often see staff in there selling new tanks and fish to the same customer never once explaining that the tank should actuallybe running empty for a few weeks before fish are added. The fish often didn't look in great condition from there either.

Sad thing is there is a local pet shop that sells pets here, believe me or not, but have worse conditions for any animal they ever get in.

It makes me sad too to hear this. The poor Rabbit being passed around like a parcel at a party :cry:. I don't understand why P@H do not do home checks and they will probably spend the money from that sale on another pet! xx

Because they're in the business of making money and doing homechecks would be super expensive. It would also put people off buying them so they'd lose sales. I'm not condoning it at all, I just think the reasons are pretty obvious. :(

Also...sadly, even when you homecheck, you can't always tell. People lie.

Because they're in the business of making money and doing homechecks would be super expensive. It would also put people off buying them so they'd lose sales. I'm not condoning it at all, I just think the reasons are pretty obvious. :(

Also...sadly, even when you homecheck, you can't always tell. People lie.

This is not actually the reason. It has been discussed a few times but people feel it would be difficult to implement and it would also push people to purchase rabbits from bunny village rather than adopt. Have a look at how much money Support Adoption for Pets have raised....12 million to total so money isn't the object here it's how it would be implemented. There were just over 70,000 animals go through the adoption centre last year so that's 70,000 home checks. It would be a huge thing to implement and it's not like the store staff can just nip out to do a home check?

A home check would have to be booked in with the new potential owner it wouldn't be an instant process. I also think this would deter people from buying Animals on a whim, it's easy to walk into a pet shop and see an animal that looks cute and walk out with it. If they had to wait a week or two for the check and then get everything in place such as housing, diet and the other stuff ect before getting the Animal then it might put a lot of people off as the whim might pass. In no way would it stop it but i certainly think it would deter people from buying them in this way.

If someone has only had an animal for a week then re sells it on then i get the impression that they no nothing about the animal, have not done research and probably haven't thought to much about it, I get that some people might have valid reasons but i can't understand why they sell it on. I rehomed Burberry in a very similar situation, my Daughter in law had only had him a week :roll: she had her reasons though that are valid. These people probably have a right to make some money back on the housing they have purchased, my Daughter in law did not re home Burberry to me with any housing as she wanted to sell it but i would have thought they would have returned the animal to the adoption centre, after all p@H class themselves as adoption centres when in reality they are a probably a pet shop selling animals that have either been there to long or nobody wants them.

I went in p@h thursday to buy my fibafirst and there was 6 piggys in one tank :cry:, no attention and no love. I didn't realise p@h were so bad and i assumed they run their animal rehoming process like a proper rescue would. I have never bought an animal from a pet shop so not sure how they do it. All my own opinion anyway.

This is not actually the reason. It has been discussed a few times but people feel it would be difficult to implement and it would also push people to purchase rabbits from bunny village rather than adopt. Have a look at how much money Support Adoption for Pets have raised....12 million to total so money isn't the object here it's how it would be implemented. There were just over 70,000 animals go through the adoption centre last year so that's 70,000 home checks. It would be a huge thing to implement and it's not like the store staff can just nip out to do a home check?

Exactly - they'd have to employ separate homecheckers. Which would cost money.

If rescues all over the country can manage to do homechecks, with no money and run entirely by volunteers usually in their own homes, I doubt it's too complicated for a giant company like P@H to implement.

Exactly - they'd have to employ separate homecheckers. Which would cost money.

If rescues all over the country can manage to do homechecks, with no money and run entirely by volunteers usually in their own homes, I doubt it's too complicated for a giant company like P@H to implement.

The adoption centre is run by the charity support adoption for pets not PAH. If you have a look online you will see that they are separate and raise money for grants for UK animal charities and also raise money for the adoption centres so that they can give out the vacc, microchip and neutering vouchers. Money isn't a problem the charity has ample money. If they used some of the money for arranging home checks it would not affect PAH at all it would take money away from other animal charity grants. Like I say it has been discussed a few times and people feel it would be difficult to implement...that doesn't mean to say it will never happen though. I don't think it has ever been questioned before. I passed it across from the Action For Rabbits group about 6 months ago as something to consider but that was the first time it had been thought about so I don't think it was ever something questioned before that. It's actually more complicated for a company that has over 400 stores compared to a rescue. Not all rescues do home checks either...dogs trust don't you can walk away with a dog the same day as they have lots of large rescues throughout the country and find it too difficult to carry out all the home checks. I home check for my two local RSPCA's, a cat sanctuary and for a Romanian dog charity and I get asked all the time and the amount of ringing round and organising is a challenge.

Back