• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

managing dental issues with diet

tabithakat64

Mama Doe
New foster buns arriving this afternoon, they have some mild dental issues and I'm hoping that I can help these with diet.
Other a variety of hay, dried grass, fresh grass a variety of forage and lots of chew toys and natural twigs what else can I do to help?
Has anyone been able to reduce dental issues using diet? If so can you give me any tips

high fibre diet, if its the molar teeth then hay is best for that, timothy being one of best, and if grazing on grass helps to they use there tooth action different to grind these down and so helps wear there teeth down, sometimes though diet alone doesn't help and some bunnies need o going dentals, if become frequent then worth x-raying to check there roots etc

Ferg has molar issues and is a dental bun now so I know the stresses of working out a good diet :)

Diet wise that sounds really good - I would find out which hay they like the best and give them as much as they'll eat, variety is probably a very good idea :) I give readigrass as well which he loves and it's good for tooth wear. I think forage which is stalky is probably best. Willow twigs seem to go down really well with mine :)

I don't give pellets but I think that's a bit of a contentious issue between some vets... I think he's miles better on very few to no pellets as he eats so much more hay. I definitely wouldn't give anymore than an eggcup of pellets per day per bun and if they didn't seem to be eating as much hay as you want I would consider cutting them down.

What you're planning sounds great though :) good luck! Keep an eye out for any poo changes or any change in eating - definitely worth getting them checked if you see anything abnormal :)

Last edited:
since I stopped feeding pellets completely, my dental bunny stopped needing dentals ( 2 years since the last dental). however you would need to make sure that the rabbits get a varied diet (hays, forage, veggies etc). hope that helps :wave:

Back