• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suncream on rabbit ears?

Hi all just looking for some advice! Reuben is my REW Rex rabbit and he has very pink ears. He's enjoying the sun today sunbathing a lot! I just wondered if I need to put suncream on his ears? I've heard of people doing this before so I'm curious as to whether I need to!

I asked a previous vet years ago and he said that he'd never seen a skin cancer in a white bunny like he does in cats - he thinks they probably don't live for enough years for it to become a problem. Even if it was likely to be a problem, I think the answer is more likely to be in providing/enforcing shade through the hottest part of the day as I suspect that sun cream + bunny guts will be more problematic than sunburn.

I've never heard of that, though had read (never tried, not needed to yet) some people finger dip cool water behind the ears?

But personally I'd agree with above, I'd personally focus on providing shade or if they won't go to shade, create shade for a wee bit in between their sunbathing or such rather than try to play with different lotions and potions - but that's just me

im sure there was something about this in rabbiting on last issue will recheck for you

years back I had a guinea pig used to do his ears in the baby sunblock

Sorry I ran & read earlier (esp since you were part of my inspiration to bond my trio). I honestly don't know the answer but do know the chemicals in most suncreams are really heavy duty so I personally wouldn't. Interested to hear more of sunburn risk though

Thanks everyone! I will give it a miss then. They have their shed for shade but Reuben just prefers to sit in his run in the sun (don't blame him tbh! :lol: ) so will just keep an eye on him makes sure he doesn't stay in direct sunlight for too long!

Yep, although it's a big thing for white eared cats and you'd expect it to apply to rabbit, it just doesn't seem to happen. Maybe rabbit ears just have that bit extra fluff and it's enough to make a difference.

Back