• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat and fox problems

kerrylouise

Warren Scout
I have 2 rabbits, my male keeps escaping the garden (I have searched and watched and can't find how)a where I live is over run with cats (next door takes in strays aswell as other neighbours having cats) they are always stalking my rabbits, yesterday Sam went on a jolly again and got chased back by 6 cats I went running out there and beat them away, my worry is that if I'm not in and he escapes his run again what would happen to him, not only do I have cats to contentd with there is now a resident fox that takes an interest in them! I am overly worriesd for their safety but don't want to lock them up so they have no access to their run ;( any advice would be more then welcome

If Sam can get out, I would worry that it would be fairly easy for a fox or cat to get into the run. Does it have a secure roof and all hatches securely closed? Is the bottom of the run either weldmesh under turf, or concrete or paving slabs? The mesh of the run needs to be strong weldmesh (16g or 19g) and 1/2x1" maximum hole size to avoid a cat clawing at them. I would recommend any hatches to be padlocked or caribinered shut.

I'm assuming no one could have interfered and let him out?

He's on the concrete I really don't know how he is getting good outing have a toddler but no way could she undo the safety catches that are everywhere :/ not sure if there is something in the enclosure he can get out of buti checked and there wasn't not sure if my neighbour would try and get into my garden and undo it so he can get out (she hates rabbits) just really worried for their safety

Is the run attached to the concrete? Just wondering if he could be squashing under? I would replace the catches with padlocks if there's a suspicion of someone letting them out.

I think I'm going to bolt it down,he's a dwarfs the spaces he can get out of us unreal, just worried about the cats stalking them.as this scares them and the bloody fox!

I would recommend bolting it down. The alternative would be having them as indoor bunnies ;)

Maybe you can try taking pictures as well and posting them here or in the Housing thread some folks might have ideas on what might be the cause and how to safeguard it all the more?

You have a reply on your other thread. Perhaps ask the mods to put the threads together so it doesn't get confusing.

I was going to suggest posting pics, sometimes others can see areas we thought were secure.

Could you edge the outside edges of the run with bricks? To prevent pushing etc.

You have a reply on your other thread. Perhaps ask the mods to put the threads together so it doesn't get confusing.

I replied on the other thread because I didn't realise this was here! I didn't say anything additional to what others have said so the other thread could be deleted?

Back