• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buns and rain?

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
It's been awhile since I last posted... To make a long story short, I volunteer at my local rabbit rescue and am a 'failed' foster carer, as I fell in love with the buns I was looking after and adopted them. :oops: They are both boys, a Holland lop called River and a Dutch called André. Now I would love to eventually bond them with my girls and have a quad, but I'm aware it will be a challenge so for now they are living in separate pens. Anyway, today it was raining fairly heavily and when I checked on the buns André was saturated. Everybody else was dry, so I can only assume he decided to remain in his favorite corner which isn't sheltered. I know buns shouldn't really get this wet, so is there anything I can do to get him to stay in shelter when it rains or am I best putting up some sort of tarp? Also, in case he gets wet again, what is the best day to dry a wet bun? I dried him off with a towel, but he wasn't very impressed with that... :?

My boys live outside and love the rain and will actively sit in it and get wet on occasion even tho they have 2 hutches a summer house, wet and dry run to sit in :roll:

Mine also seem not to mind the rain - we have covered runs but they are only part covered at the sides and my gang will often choose to sit in the bit that's getting wet!!!

So, since it doesn't rain very much where I live am I best to just leave him be and let him enjoy the rain? He seems fine this morning, like nothing happened but he was wet nearly to the skin and it's getting cold at night now, so I'm a little worried about him.

I think it depends how cold cold actually is. Rabbits tolerate cold better than heat but if it's really cold and they are wet too that might be a problem. From what I remember of visiting Sydney about 20 years ago it doesn't get at all what I would call cold (I was in shorts in July and my Aussie friends had big coats on!) but I know it's a HUGE country with massive temp variations. If it's really cold I try to keep mine dry but they do venture out even in snow.

I think it depends how cold cold actually is. Rabbits tolerate cold better than heat but if it's really cold and they are wet too that might be a problem. From what I remember of visiting Sydney about 20 years ago it doesn't get at all what I would call cold (I was in shorts in July and my Aussie friends had big coats on!) but I know it's a HUGE country with massive temp variations. If it's really cold I try to keep mine dry but they do venture out even in snow.

I live like 10 hours north of Sydney and it's been getting down to around 5°C at night, which is cold for me but I know others would find that laughable. :lol: We had one really cold morning which was 0.5°, but for the most part it's generally somewhere between 5 and 10 degrees at night here in winter.

Back