• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wooden chew toys bad for rabbits?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I'm reading this book called When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care, and in the dental section it says that wooden chew toys and wood from fruit trees is bad for rabbits teeth and can make dental problems worse, therefore they should only be given cardboard toys. Kind of panicking that I've been doing something wrong all these years because all my girls toys are made out of wood, and they get a lot of apple sticks!

Do other people generally avoid wooden toys? I've always been under the impression that they were a good thing to provide :? This is the first time I've read this, but to be fair I haven't read many books about rabbit care so that could be why I've never heard of it before!

Mine always have willow toys, I avoid cardboard ones because they eat them and too much makes them ill!

I've never heard this before either. i can't imagine that it's true, I mean, rabbits in the wild would be munching on twigs and branches. And I can't see how it'd make dental problems worse :? Plus all animals that love to chew e.g. rodents are given wooden chews for keeping their teeth down and providing enrichment. Of course for rabbits it's mostly hay/grass that wears their teeth down and the wooden chews are more for enrichment.

Is it that wooden toys are fine for young adults because it helps them wear down their constantly growing teeth but when they get to the more elderly stage of life then it would be too hard for them?

Is it that wooden toys are fine for young adults because it helps them wear down their constantly growing teeth but when they get to the more elderly stage of life then it would be too hard for them?

The way I read it was that they are just flat out bad for them and shouldn't be given at all

Literally have no idea if I should be taking away all their wooden rattles etc, and what to replace them with if I do!

Back